• Marty Phelps - In Memoriam

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

It's my sad duty to share that our friend Marty Phelps passed away early this morning following a brief battle with cancer according to a report by the Western New York Railway Historical Society. Aside from his big personality, Marty was the driving force behind establishing the Medina Railroad Museum. A career firefighter, Marty was able to combine his passions for history and trains into the museum established in the old New York Central freight house in Medina.

No arrangements have been shared yet.

-otto-
  by charlie6017

Sad news, indeed -- the Medina Railroad Museum was his baby. I enjoyed the handful of times I spent there and
learned a lot. Marty will certainly be missed. Rest In Peace. 🙏🏻

Charlie
  by Matt Langworthy

Marty was a class act. Scottychaos, Kendaia1, Ken Gardner and I had a memorable visit at the Medina RR museum 3 years ago this month. Marty shared alot of history with us and even offered to buy pizza. He was truly appreciative of our visit.
  by smph50

RIP Marty,

You would have never guessed that Marty was sick at our Feb Train Show just two month's ago. He was so excited to show off his new 18 foot portable Medina Station to be used for this years Thomas© events. Early in his life, Marty knew the difference between a collectible piece and junk no matter what it was. He created the wonderful Medina Railroad Museum one piece at a time and was very generous with sharing what he didn't need. Marty encouraged "out of the box" thinking and was very passionate about what ever he put his mind to create. Marty also had a keen sense of humor and could dish it out as well as take it. I and the entire WNYRHS will miss him greatly and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

With fond memories and great sadness, Sincerely, Scott H.

by lvrr325

That's terrible and a big shock. You're around this hobby long enough you're going to know some people who pass, but it seems like the last few who I used to see at these shows, who've passed on, have all been a complete shock.
  by traingeek8223

Only met the man once but he left a lasting impression. People like Mary Phelps that are truly dedicated to a vision of railway preservation with the work ethic to see it through are becoming harder to find in today's world. He will be missed.
  by Otto Vondrak

http://www.thedailynewsonline.com/bdn03 ... s-20170425" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Martin C. “Marty” Phelps, 75, of Batavia, died peacefully Tuesday morning April 25, 2017 at Buffalo General Hospital. Marty was a fixture in the area, having worked with many volunteer fire companies, and had a 25 year career with the City of Batavia Fire Department. He was known statewide and nationally for his work as the Fire Prevention Chief for the “Lives are Precious” Fire and Burn Prevention Program. In retirement, Marty was the Creator, Director & Conductor for the Medina Railroad Museum. A complete obituary will appear in the coming days and the Phelps family is being cared for by the Michael S. Tomaszewski Funeral & Cremation Chapel, LLC (585) 343-7500.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/m ... 0185243764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Martin was born on December 13, 1941 and passed away on Tuesday, April 25, 2017. Martin was a resident of Batavia, New York. Marty was a United States Army Veteran having served with the 4th Armored Division. The family will be present from 3 - 8 pm on Friday May 5 at the MICHAEL S. TOMASZEWSKI FUNERAL CREMATION CHAPEL LLC 4120 West Main Street Road Batavia New York 14020 where prayers will be recited 10:00 am Saturday May 6 followed by a 11:00 am Mass of Christian Burial at Resurrection Parish St. Joseph's Site followed by Military Honors. He will be laid to rest in the future Veterans Cemetery in East Pembroke. Lieu of flowers memorials are suggested to the Medina Railroad Museum 530 W. Ave. Medina New York 14103 or Genesee Cancer Assistance Inc. 127 North Street Batavia.