• Old Metrorail Car Gets Second Life as Benches, Retail Space

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

A Metro car is getting transformed, and there's a chance you could see it again in Montgomery County.
A sculptor is turning the retired car into benches, retail space and industrial art

http://www.nbcwashington.com/entertainm ... 91373.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note: This is a 4000 series car and I still see a few of them still in service. Metro has retired about half of the 4000 series
  by STrRedWolf

Maaan... Okay, I can see the about kiosks if you block off everything from the main sliding doors to the end of the car... and maybe get 4 kiosks. The seating is something else. I'd have to see the old 4000 series floor plans to make a definite determination.
  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"
4k cars are 80,000 lbs?

No, I don't know where they got that 80,000 number. yes they were heaver then the 1k cars that had a curb weight around 72,000. Hell the 7k cars under 80,000.