• Biloxi, MS Train/Bus Incident

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by John_Perkowski

Accident on CSX in Biloxi, MS. Train hits bus

Thoughts and prayers for the families of the dead.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unpinned the thread
  by justalurker66

I am seeing that the bus was on the rails for 5-10 minutes before the train hit it.

Are there emergency numbers posted at the crossing? Doesn't anyone think to CALL!
  by Backshophoss

The Bus was low(& long) enough to bottom out on the track while crossing,was there a sign warning that low trailers/vehicles
can bottom out?
IF that driver saw that warning sign,should have not attempted the track there!
  by John_Perkowski

Update: 4 dead, 35 injured

To answer backshophoss' question, signs are there...

North looking South
biloxi n looking south.JPG

South looking North
biloxi s looking north.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by John_Perkowski

by Gilbert B Norman

Although the photos Col. Perkowski has linked clearly establish that the hazard was marked, wonder what the Ladbrokes line is that Chessie will be "digging deep"?

While the reports of the incident I've read suggest the bus operator is "not exactly Mom and Pop", claims aided and abetted by Plaintiff attorneys will "tap out" the carrier's insuance. Then we know that Chessie had best sharpen her claws to dig in.

In view of that reports note the bus was disabled atop the X-ing for six minutes before the collision, it appears that the negligence belongs to one party - why wasn't the bus immediately evacuated, why didn't the driver immediately contact the CSX Train Dispatcher at the phone number identifying the X-ing - but Chessie's on tap.
  by ExCon90

Moreover (not that this will likely affect the ultimate awards), It was reported that the NTSB questioned early whether the bus company had specified routes that are and are not to be used by its drivers; a later report said that they do indeed have designated routes and drivers are specifically instructed not to use that crossing. So it appears that not only did the driver neither discharge his passengers nor report the incident to CSX, he had no business being on that crossing in the first place. On one occasion I was talking with someone--on CSX, as it happens--who said that when they receive a call about a problem at a crossing, the first thing they do is notify the dispatcher so he can issue an immediate stop-and-protect order, even before notifying M/W. maintenance.
  by CarterB

Some ambulance chaser/s with the TV ads to sue about everything, will extort, blackmail or otherwise 'hold up' the railroad just for the % fee they get. I just hope CSX countersues the bus company ...big time!!!