• Boarding process for Pennsylvanian in Pittsburgh

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by CNJGeep

When I was taking the train regularly, they would start boarding at around 7. Wait at the top of the stairs, or the waiting room downstairs. Then they open the doors and let you board. The conductor will direct you to which car they want you to sit in, but they never-again, this was two plus years ago-assigned specific seats. I only had to sit in the Amfleet I once. I got an Amfleet II the rest of the time, and almost never had to share a seat.
  by Amtrak7

Taking it tomorrow, have done it before.

Announcements advise you to wait downstairs, but plenty of people wait upstairs anyway. Doors to the train open around 30 minutes prior to departure. Business Class boards first, then everyone else a few minutes later. You'll be asked your destination and pointed to either the Amfleet I, or the middle Amfleet II through which you can walk to the other two.

If you're going to the NEC, they'll almost always put you in the Amfleet II. If you're going to the Keystone Corridor, you'll likely be put in the Amfleet I. The other stations vary (I was put in the Amfleet II for Johnstown, but I've seen otherwise) The exception is if the train is sold out with most of the load boarding at Pittsburgh, in that case they'll stuff the NEC passengers into the Amfleet I so they don't have to open it enroute.

There is no assigned seating and there is no checking of tickets prior to departure.
  by STrRedWolf

jackintosh11 wrote:What about Philly?
Pittsburgh to Philly 30th Street is the same as "Going to the NEC" because it's a stop there. They will try to group you in with the NEC folk.

Going from Philly to Pittsburgh is open seating in the class you are in.