• MFL Collision and Derailment - 69th Street

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ekt8750

philipmartin wrote:How about "sleep apnea" for the motorman who hit the train ahead?
Their ATC system should have kicked in and dumped the train before it got that close. I think the fault is in signal system.
  by 34thStreet

ekt8750 wrote:
philipmartin wrote:How about "sleep apnea" for the motorman who hit the train ahead?
Their ATC system should have kicked in and dumped the train before it got that close. I think the fault is in signal system.
Agreed, this is rather concerning, and I suppose luckily it didn't happen with full trains somewhere on the line. Also concerning that a dispatcher didn't notice that the other train hadn't cleared the loop before letting the other one proceed.
  by ekt8750

34thStreet wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:
Agreed, this is rather concerning, and I suppose luckily it didn't happen with full trains somewhere on the line. Also concerning that a dispatcher didn't notice that the other train hadn't cleared the loop before letting the other one proceed.
Well that's all automated. The dispatcher can override the computer if they notice it in time but the computer handles the actual dispatching. The system shouldn't have permitted the train to enter the loop in the first place.