Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by queensdee223

Is there a reason why there aren't subway-to-subway transfers between the J/M/Z or the L and the G in Williamsburg? I'm think specifically of Lorimer Street or Hewes Street stops on the Jamaica Line or the Lorimer Street stop on the L. I occasionally go between Middle Village and Park Slope, and it seems like those would be logical places to include such transfers given that the system can accommodate that. Or do most people have a more convenient way to get from J or Z service to that part of Brooklyn? Just curious.
  by DogBert

They were originally built as competing companies.

The G to JMZ was a free transfer for a short time while the williamsburg bridge was being repaired. Apparently this free transfer will be re-instituted for the L line shutdown.
  by octr202

Isn't there a free G to L transfer at Lorimer St? Pretty sure I've actually used that one myself.
  by rr503

Yes. The stations are closer, and both underground, so a transfer was avail. from the start I think.
  by queensdee223

You're right that there is a transfer between the L and G trains. And now I know that the Weekender app doesn't list in-system, between-station transfers when you tap on a station! Thanks for the answer and also for the bit of history, there.
  by Kamen Rider

The subway has to deal with the design baggage of not being meant to be one large system but three medium sized ones. There are lots of "logical" ideas that make sense, but they run into the realities of the system.

The Orange M makes logical sense, but it still resulted in a loss of service to southern Brooklyn, and a loss of capacity on 6th avenue and Queens Blvd due to the M's shorter trains.

There has been discussion in the past of eliminating the Hewes and Lorimer stations on the Broadway El and replacing them with a single station at Union that would enable an in fare control transfer to the G, but nothing has ever come of it.
  by queensdee223

Interesting. So the brown M used to take the Montague Street Tunnel before 2010 and follow the same route as the D train after that? (If I read the descriptions and schematic maps on Wikipedia right.)

Regarding the transfer from the M to the G at Broadway, in terms of in-system walks, the distance between Lorimer or Hewes on the Broadway line and the G Broadway would be a long walk but maybe not the longest. Any point in theorizing about modifying the elevated structure to include a walkway to the G station from one of the existing stations?
  by Allan

rr503 wrote:Yes. The stations are closer, and both underground, so a transfer was avail. from the start I think.
The stations were built at different times and by competing companies so there was no free transfer until well after 1940 when the City took over the BMT.

Lorimer St - Canarsie line - BMT - opened in 1924.

Metropolitan Av - Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown line - IND - opened in 1937.

The free transfer was created in 1948

Entry from Wiklipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorimer_S ... tan_Avenue_(New_York_City_Subway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

"Originally, passengers who wished to transfer between the Canarsie and Crosstown lines had to pay a separate fare, because the Brooklyn–Manhattan Transit Corporation (operator of the Canarsie Line) and the Independent Subway System (the Crosstown Line's operator) were competing companies. On July 1, 1948, eight years after the three operators of New York's subways were unified into a single entity, the transfer passageway was reconfigured to be inside fare control, thus permitting free transfers between lines."