• Truck/bogie Noise

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by EuroStar

It might be just me, but recently I have been noticing more frequently that certain cars are "noisier". What I mean is that when the bogie passes by me I notice very distinct 'ka-ching ka-ching ka-ching' noise coming from that specific bogie or car end. Most cars pass by with 'wizzzz wizzzz' noise. I notice this in places with continuous rail, so it is not a break or thermal joint in the rail causing this noise. I am not familiar with maintenance practices on NJT, but is this sign of stuck break shoe? Flat wheel? Something else? Most of the time I have observed this with only one car out of a whole consist of 6 to 12 coaches. I have heard it on both Comets and Multi-levels. Multiple times it has been the head car. I have never observed it on the engine, but the engines are generally noisier, even the electric ones, so maybe it has been drowned out by the rest of the noise.
  by Fan Railer

Flat spots caused by slip and slide during heavy braking.
  by Passaic River Rat

Could be a broken ground brush box.
EuroStar wrote:It might be just me, but recently I have been noticing more frequently that certain cars are "noisier". What I mean is that when the bogie passes by me I notice very distinct 'ka-ching ka-ching ka-ching' noise coming from that specific bogie or car end. Most cars pass by with 'wizzzz wizzzz' noise. I notice this...
  by ALP46A 4662

I have also noticed something similar, but for ALP46/46A powered trains only. I've noticed a grinding-like noise when braking coming from the cars, and it seems to only happen on 46/46A powered trains. I have never noticed on a PL42/ALP45DP/or GP40 powered train
  by EuroStar

Fan Railer wrote:Flat spots caused by slip and slide during heavy braking.
By the sound of it, I suspected flat wheels. Now how do you get a flat wheel on only one truck? While the pneumatic pressure wave takes some time to travel from the engine to the other end of the train, I do not understand why only one of the trucks on only one of the cars in a consist will develop this problem.

And a second question: how dangerous is this? There is no way flat wheels are good for safety, but how bad are they? How bad is the danger of derailment?