Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by scopelliti

I can imagine the prof walking into the car/classroom and calling out "Tickets!" :-D
  by freightguy

Off topic, but 10 bar cars will return to MTA/ Metro North in the form of M8's.
  by Backshophoss

That remains a possabilty for now,IF the Conn state Bonding "authorty" approves the $$$$$ needed to buy the cars.
  by nyandw

nyandw wrote:
Norton wrote:Page 7 of this issue of Adelphi University Magazine has a clearer picture of the interior, but still no car number.
http://www.adelphi.edu/Adelphi-Magazine ... g-2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Additional info: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrex ... ralist.htm
Graduation ceremony onboard a LIRR railroad car 1974
  by Cactus Tracks

I remember that when we entered the classroom car to collect tickets that we were reminded that even the instructor had to display his/hers to us.
  by n2qhvRMLI

On Saturday, January 7, 2017, LIRR Bar Car #2993 began its journey to the Adirondack Scenic Railroad (ASR) in Utica, NY. The car, (not owned by the RMLI), was donated to the ASR by its owner for use as a Bar/Concession Car. RMLI's Founding President, Mr. Chris Talluto is the ASR's Chief Mechanical Officer. Chris spent a good part of summer 2016 performing maintenance and certification work on the car. The Museum assisted Chris with helpful manpower and the use of our backshop for various work details. The Railroad Museum of Long Island celebrates and supports ASR's acquisition of #2993. Not only will this LIRR car be saved, it will be used in revenue service for the purpose the LIRR originally modified it for, saving another piece of Long Island heritage!! Thank you for video taken by Jordan Torregrosa, member of the RMLI "Steam up LIRR 39" committee. (Please cut and paste this link into your browser to see the video, it appears the Forum will not support an automatic playback of the video.)

https://www.facebook.com/railroadmuseum ... ED&fref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Members of the RMLI confer with the New York and Atlantic Railway crew on Saturday, January 7, 2017 as the certified air brake system on ex-LIRR, ASR Bar Car #2993 is fully charged.

by jhdeasy

Thanks for the news with photo and video. Nice to see that 2993 found a new home elsewhere in New York. I've updated my roster of former LIRR P72/P75 class cars with this info. http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/ ... lasses.pdf

Was the routing for this move New York & Atlantic (Riverhead to Fresh Pond) to CSX (Fresh Pond to Oak Point to Selkirk and then on to Utica) for interchange to Adirondack Scenic Railroad at Utica?

Did New York & Atlantic allow a rider on the car for their portion of the move? I know CSX does not allow a rider on passenger cars moving in freight service. Moving an unoccupied passenger car in freight service can be somewhat risky, but when it is the only realistic option, you have to live with that.

To the best of my knowledge, Amtrak has never authorized a former LIRR P72/P75 class car for a one way move to shop on an Amtrak passenger train. There are no former LIRR P72/P75 class cars certified to operate as privately owned cars on Amtrak trains.
  by n2qhvRMLI

jhdeasy,

Yes, the routing was New York & Atlantic (Riverhead to Fresh Pond) to CSX (Fresh Pond to Oak Point to Selkirk and then on to Utica). There was never a discussion about having a rider in the car. We overhauled the brake system to current standards, did the COTS and repaired the rusting stairwells as "safety appliances" and sent her packing :-)

As of yesterday the car was at Selkirk waiting for a westbound movement to complete the trip to Utica. The northerly movement engineer stated: "Much to his surprise that on the back of his 32 car train was the bar car. #2993. North of Beacon the train speeds are 50 mph. No cars tripped any detectors while in route to Selkirk. He is very proud and impressed that the car performed well with no problems."

I'm looking forward to riding this car in revenue service this coming summer :-)

Don
  by TrainDetainer

jhdeasy -

your list looks to be missing 2911 - on Catskill Mountain RR at Kingston since 2015.
  by jhdeasy

TrainDetainer wrote:your list looks to be missing 2911 - on Catskill Mountain RR at Kingston since 2015.
Thanks for that info. I have updated my roster. I see that Catskill Mountain RR's website does note they have former LIRR coaches 2911, 2940, 2949 and 2962 on their roster, with a few exterior/interior photos of these cars on their website and their Facebook page.
n2qhvRMLI wrote: As of yesterday the car was at Selkirk waiting for a westbound movement to complete the trip to Utica. The northerly movement engineer stated: "Much to his surprise that on the back of his 32 car train was the bar car. #2993. North of Beacon the train speeds are 50 mph. No cars tripped any detectors while in route to Selkirk. He is very proud and impressed that the car performed well with no problems."

I'm looking forward to riding this car in revenue service this coming summer :-)
Good to hear that this move from Riverhead to Utica is going well. It is always a great relief not to get a phone call from a railroad official telling you that your car is BAD ORDERED at location X, because it tripped a hot bearing detector or because a FRA safety inspector found something wrong with the car.

Maybe some trackside observer will get a few photos of the car en-route to its new home. It would have been nice if some railfan photographer with a drone got some pics of it crossing the Alfred H. Smith Memorial Bridge across the Hudson. Who knows, maybe we will see a photo of it in Railpace.

Many years ago, in the Conrail era, a CR car inspector at Selkirk Yard bad ordered a passenger car that was moving in freight service. The reason given to the car's owner was "no brakes." The car inspector didn't see any brake shoes or rigging on either truck, and probably wondered how this car made it to Selkirk in a CR freight. Apparently he was not familiar with disc brake passenger cars!

By the way, if you are in Utica on Thursday September 14, 2017, you might get your choice of riding the 2993, or AAPRCO's convention special train "The Green Mountain Flyer", up into the Adirondacks on the Adirondack Scenic RR.

http://www.aaprco.com/wp-content/upload ... 3dot21.pdf