• Location of this LV line?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by sd80mac

nydepot wrote:Not Spencer. I mentioned that earlier. The photo is dated 1967. If you look at the 1968 aerial at historicaerials.com, the Rt 34 bridge is wingwalls, not the columns like the photo with an embankment. Also no white building.
Well Well... that bridge was designed in 1941... search resume.... :P
  by sd80mac

Someone who lives in that county where hinman is, would need to go to county engineering dept and ask for record plan of that road (Bernaek Rd). It was grade crossing at the time that state realigned rt 224. I would say that county had build bridge after state give ownership of that road to county or town.

However, I don't think bridge was ever build on that street anyway. The new alignment RT 224 did had bridge but not in that style. What more, there's swamp on left side of track so white building cannot be there anyway. I don't think that Hinman is the answer.
  by pumpers

CPSmith wrote:
TB Diamond wrote:Is that not a signal on the extreme right hand side of the photo? Possibly I am the only one to notice it?

Yes, that is a signal head. Also, LV phone box, LV milepost - I think we can say this is on the LV.

Maybe here? It's right next to the road (which I believe to be Rt. 34). A little pixelated as the file size is reduced.
Maybe it was noted and I missed it, but in this picture the sun is on the left (and in winter), so the OOS track (the one on the north side) would be westbound if the track were running geographically east/west at this spot.
  by JoeS

I looked through some of my LV books this morning and had a thought: one clue could be the number of crossarms on the poles.

Just quickly glancing through the pictures I noticed that at Cayuta the poles had three crossarms while there are four in the P's linked picture.

I noted four crossarms in areas near Niagara Junction, Manchester, Geneva, Sayre, Coxton etc.

In general the pole line is on the RR south side of the main line but there are places where it appeared otherwise.

If I get a chance I will do more thorough research tonight.
  by ctclark1

Eh, just tear it down! No one wants it there anyway! [tic]
That darn white building is seemingly non-existent everywhere except this picture. Although I don't think the "swamp on left side" would preclude the white building from having been there as it appear it would have been between the old Bernaek Rd alignment and fill for the Rt 224 bridge.

NY224 was setup in the 1930 renumbering, and to my knowledge has never been transferred to the counties. If someone were to look at the Schuyler county records, according to the topo maps the bridge was built between 1946 and and 1952 (although it could've been earlier as sometimes topo maps weren't updated immediately.)
  by BR&P

If it helps any, whatever the location it's right at a milepost. So that limits the search a little. I can also say eliminate from MP 358 to 371 as that was nothing on the former ONCT for sure.

It would not hurt to run that by some of the guys who worked Sayre and south. A) it could be somewhere down in PA and B) they may have been over the NY end of things at some point, either officially or otherwise, and might have a suggestion.
  by Mike Stellpflug

The guys over on Facebook, where the photo is posted, now seem to conclude that it is on the Ithaca Secondary at Spencer, and that the bridge is Route 34.
Does that make any sense?

Mike
  by sd80mac

Mike Stellpflug wrote:The guys over on Facebook, where the photo is posted, now seem to conclude that it is on the Ithaca Secondary at Spencer, and that the bridge is Route 34.
Does that make any sense?

Mike
I already informed him that the record plan of bridge does not match the one in the picture.
  by BR&P

I have to say the track geometry at Spencer seems to fit. Is it possible the date on the aerial photo is wrong? The highway bridge in the pic looks old and run down, perhaps a state highway project came along soon after and gave us what is there now.

I occasionally travel that route on the way to a musician friend's place in Candor. No promises, but if the chance arises I'll take some time and 1) try to take a pic from about the same location and 2) see if there is a date cast into the concrete of the wingwalls.

Or if someone else is in the area before I get to it, go for it!

Last thought - does NYDOT have an on-line inventory of highway bridges, which would show the date of the one in question?
  by pumpers

poppyl wrote:I'll add my two cents worth to the discussion. The hills indicate a location in the Southern Tier, IMO. I have no basis other than my gut but that sure looks like the old footprint of the former NYC Baker Street yard in Corning with the bridge being Baker Street. Certainly possible that a LV freight was diverted up the E-L to the Corning Secondary. May be parked there waiting for a certified crew to arrive for the run to Geneva.

Poppyl
Maybe Poppyl is on to something - the span of the bridge seems much too wide to span the ordinary 2 tracks. So a yard would make sense. I am not a local but looking at old maps of Corning I don't see Baker st going over the NYC yard (assuming Baker St yard is the one along Post Creek), however.

Also, this "follow up picutre" with the "274 milepost" - I didn't see the link to this photo...
Jim S
  by nydepot

The aerials are 1968. There is a wide swath of NY done that year.
BR&P wrote:I have to say the track geometry at Spencer seems to fit. Is it possible the date on the aerial photo is wrong? The highway bridge in the pic looks old and run down, perhaps a state highway project came along soon after and gave us what is there now.
  by BR&P

pumpers wrote:[quote="poppyl]"that sure looks like the old footprint of the former NYC Baker Street yard in Corning with the bridge being Baker Street.
Poppyl
Maybe Poppyl is on to something -[/quote][/quote][/quote]

The black phone box with yellow stripe is pure LV, that's not on a foreign line.
  by TB Diamond

Not Spencer as was mentioned a few times.

The only signal left on the east end of the Ithaca Branch at the time the photo was taken was the approach for Van Etten Jct. This signal was located at MP 287.2. Spencer is at MP 289.1.

The signal at MP 287.2 was nowhere near a bridge. Can recall that signal along the branch out in cleared fields visible from NY Rt. 34.

Additionally, the only telephone at Spencer was located at the station, MP 289.1.

BR&P:

Reference your post of Dec. 22 5:42 P.M. Yep, mention of the signal in the photo had been posted previously, by me on Dec. 20, 10:13 P.M.
  by pumpers

BR&P wrote:
pumpers wrote:[quote="poppyl]"that sure looks like the old footprint of the former NYC Baker Street yard in Corning with the bridge being Baker Street.
Poppyl
Maybe Poppyl is on to something -
[/quote][/quote]

The black phone box with yellow stripe is pure LV, that's not on a foreign line.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Yes. My main point was the wide span. Not your ordinary road bridge -- if you look at the modern Route 34 bridge at Spencer for example (which I know seems to be ruled out), it is much narrower, https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?osid=6 ... orm=S00027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JS
Edit: Updated link that might work better: https://binged.it/2igDYuE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by pumpers on Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by BR&P

pumpers wrote: Yes. My main point was the wide span. Not your ordinary road bridge -- if you look at the modern Route 34 bridge at Spencer for example (which I know seems to be ruled out), it is much narrower, https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?osid=6 ... orm=S00027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JS
I see your point. And the flat area to the right of the tracks COULD have been a yard at one time.

So could this be somewhere down in the PA coal country rather than NY? Along that thought, if it DID used to be a yard, probably the yard and bridge would show in some old pics of what used to be. I don't have any of the LV books, but maybe somebody could skim through some to see if something jumps out.