• FTA to conduct WMATA safety investigation

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by MCL1981

I read one on that list where an operator actually got of the train, pushed a switch into alignment, blocked it in place with a piece of wood, and proceeded to drive her loaded revenue train over a derail.
  by schmod

It's kind of weird how that list doesn't really seem to be prioritized.

If revenue cars are running red signals, it's a much bigger deal than some of the hypothetical design issues they observed at the car wash.

"200 items" makes a great headline, but some of those items are massive and quite troubling (and could require a costly and extensive fix), while others pertain to trivial or hypothetical issues that pose a far smaller safety risk. It's still fairly opaque as to what Metro needs to do to improve.

[Sidenote: As a software engineer, I raised my eyebrows at the number of times that Maximo was mentioned. Has anybody investigated whether or not Maximo is constraining WMATA's ability to operate effectively, or if WMATA's implementation of the system has systemic problems that need to be corrected? I've worked with a few enterprise workflow tools (not including Maximo) and I don't have favorable opinions about any of them.. -- they tend to be hasty re-creations of paper-based workflows that end up being a "black hole" for data]
  by srepetsk

schmod wrote:[Sidenote: As a software engineer, I raised my eyebrows at the number of times that Maximo was mentioned. Has anybody investigated whether or not Maximo is constraining WMATA's ability to operate effectively, or if WMATA's implementation of the system has systemic problems that need to be corrected? I've worked with a few enterprise workflow tools (not including Maximo) and I don't have favorable opinions about any of them.. -- they tend to be hasty re-creations of paper-based workflows that end up being a "black hole" for data]
Maximo Asset Management is an IBM enterprise product. WMATA is running 7.5 I believe, and they are required to upgrade to 7.6 to gain functionality the FTA requires (I forget the exact details and where I read it, but something like that). Similar to IBM's Lotus Notes, I'm guessing Maximo by default is a load of useless non-intuitive enterprise garbage that nobody can figure out how to use. It usually costs a few million dollars for a piece of software like that (similar to PeopleSoft, which WMATA also uses for financial items) to become usable and customized how employees need it. As someone else in IT, I can see 100% where you're coming from and likely agree in most cases.