• Why no stations between Jersey Ave and PJ?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by JoeG

Can anyone say why there are no stations on the NEC between Jersey Ave and PJ, which is about 14 miles? Seems like a long distance. "Back in the day" the PRR had Deans, Monmouth Jct and Plainsboro, and the area has had huge growth lately. Is there any other NJT line that has such a distance between stations? In such a populated area?

by transit383

There has been some controversy surrounding a new station that may be built at South Brunswick. Some want it, some don't. Its kind of up in the air now.

by drewh

Exactly, some want it, a lot of NIMBY's don't.

I think eventually we will see at least one. But long before then I think we will see a full station at Jersey Ave and parking decks at PrJct.

3 new stations have gone up in the last 5 years on the NEC - Sec Jct, EWR, and Hamilton. A new parking deck was also built at Eliz, but I think local money was used. NWK is undergoing renovations, and Trenton is scheduled for a remake (though I don't think money has been found).

by matt1168

I sometimes wonder this myself. When you think about it, however, 14 miles isn't that long, and the scheduled time between the two stations is only about 15 minutes. I think the building of the South Brunswick/Monmouth Jct. station will be corrolated along with the building of the MOM line, as that is where trains are rumoured to terminate.

Also, I wouldn't expect a full station at Jersey Av. anytime soon. One thing I don't get about Jersey Av., however, is why they can't just build another low platform with a cheap crossover on the northbound track. It doesn't make sense. Also, if you've ever been to Jersey Av. on a weekday, the large parking lot pretty much fills up, even though the station only sees about 6-7 trains in each direction each day (actually, I think it's more than that now).

About 5 years ago, I lived at my father's house in Somerset for about 5 months after just getting out of college, and worked in the city. I commuted from Jersey Avenue, and although I don't remember much, I remember alot of people boarding the train there.

by TAMR213

Drew, Matt,

I heard from a friend in NJT, that, now that the Morrisville yard has been built and put in service, chances are, NJT will sell thier portion of County yard to Conrail, then build a platform on the opposite side of the NEC, possably even making both high platforms.

by transit383

Rumor had it that once Morrisville opened, NJT would sell County to Conrail and open a full mainline station with high platforms and a pedestrian crossover at Jersey Avenue with improved parking facilities. We shall see if this happens.

by timz

"...why they can't just build another low platform with a cheap crossover on the northbound track."
ADA wouldn't allow?

by mb

NJT is supposed to get rid of County Yard when the second half of Morrisville Yard is complete. It would be interesting to see a full station at Jersey Avenue.

by F23A4

matt1168 wrote: I commuted from Jersey Avenue, and although I don't remember much, I remember alot of people boarding the train there.
And that's still the case.

by Mudvalve

Is the reason county yard is still open is/was due to the fact that there was not enough space in trenton?

by TAMR213

I wouldn't be supprised. Maybe also to allow people north of Princeton Jct. to have more seats available to them once the trains come up this way. That often isn't the case though as lots of times, the platform for the train coming off of the branch will be completely packed, and there are probably then not many open seats.
  by jp1822

Are there any historians out there? No idea on dates, but the PRR used to have a station at Monmouth Junction and I think one other area between what are now Jersey Ave. and Princeton Junction train stations. Hopefully the Monmouth Junction (South Brunswick) station will return with the installation of the MOM rail line.

by JLo

There was a station at Adams, no?
I think the building of the South Brunswick/Monmouth Jct. station will be corrolated along with the building of the MOM line, as that is where trains are rumoured to terminate.
IIRC, the tentative plan is for MOM trains to run through to Newark/Hoboken, but to buld a South Brunswick station that would allow a transfer to NEC east and westbound trains. Remember, intra-state is important, too.

South Brunswick balked at an NEC station, claiming traffic congestion would be a problem. However, once MOM got going, South Brunswick changed its position. It now wants a station but not MOM and is claiming that NJT renegged on its agreement to give it an NEC station.

by DLSIZE

The only problem with South Brunswick is Mayor Frank and those in his back pocket....or rather those who's front pocket he is in. SB residents carry a big stick and like to bang on their monkey. Don't forget this is the same township that didn't want bus service serving the warehouse corridor near 8A because they thouhgt it would bring in too many "seedy, dark, yellow, purple, orange, long-haired, smelly, etc....." types. No, instead we will have these people come in with illegal van pools, vehicles unsafe to drive, and God-knows whatever other means necessary to get to work. They don't realize that them out-of-towners is what gives a lot of the white-collar mgmt-types at these places jobs and keeps a healthy tax base for the area. Gotta keep paying for those fancy squad cars ya know.

by timz

Plainsboro closed in 1962 or 1963; it was just west of o/h br 45.41.

Deans was just east of u/g br 38.66; Adams was just west of o/h br 35.48; they both closed in the late 1960s.

As I recall Monmouth Jct lasted into the middle 1970s.