Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by GirlOnTheTrain

Just finished reading My Life As a Rear End by retired conductor Paul Holland. Highly recommended, and I wish more retirees would write up their tales for all to enjoy ;)

My favorites were the anecdotes about the Waterbury branch...and the nutjobs back when the mental hospital was open at Wingdale.

Info here: http://www.rearend.info/
Amazon (Hard copy and Kindle): https://www.amazon.com/Life-Rear-Memoir ... op?ie=UTF8
Barnes and Noble (Hard Copy): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/my-life ... 1530851881
  by Noel Weaver

I have thought about this from time to time but it is a lot of, lot of work and probably not worth the effort. I have seen copyright infractions on the part of some NHRR people and that is a turn-off too. My employement was a very interesting 41 years of my life with a lot of very good memories. As I have said at times, my best years were my last ten years with Conrail on one of the very best jobs on the entire railroad. It was a job that took me over 30 years to hold but it was worth it. I wish I could give you a more positive answer but it is what it is.
Noel Weaver
  by NaugyRR

Thanks for the recommendation, naugatroll. I started reading the preview on Amazon, it certainly looks like a good read; I'll definitely end up ordering this.
  by MACTRAXX

G/T (and Everyone:)

This is the type of railroad memoir that I enjoy reading...Thanks for the links and information.

Would the term "Rear Brakeman" have sounded better then "Rear End" for the book title? Is that a MNCR slang term for this train crew position?
"Rear End" could almost sound as something that could be derogatory :wink: I am more familiar with "Rear Brake" for that matter...

One of the best features of our own website is the memories posted by veteran railroad employees such as Noel Weaver.
We should all thank them for sharing their experiences with us. :-D

MACTRAXX
  by NaugyRR

My copy's coming tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it. I also ordered a copy for my father for Christmas; even though what I am to trains, he is to motorcycles, I think he'd really enjoy it (Paul's wit and sense of humor is similar to his own).

And I totally agree regarding the sentiment of employees, past and present, who post to the board and share their experiences. Seeing as I've spent my short 25-years in the Northwest Corner, it's especially interesting to read Noel's stories, as it brings life to the railroad's ghosts in the area and provides an interesting perspective for those like me who were unable to experience it for ourselves. Thanks Noel and everyone for all you contribute!

And did you get bored with your username, artist formerly known as Naugatroll? lol :-)
  by GirlOnTheTrain

a.) Naugatroll has not applied since about April - moved to the Hudson line from the lowly red headed stepchild branch.
b.) Everyone (mostly Jeff, though others not on here as well) liked to crack that the book (and movie) was about me, so I thought it was fitting, given that the theatrical edition takes place on the Hudson! :)
  by NaugyRR

I'd bust your chops and call you a traitor, but seeing as I've actually been living across the border in Dutchess for over a year, and I've never actually ridden commuter rail within my home state, I'll give you a pass this time, haha :-D