Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by roysmith

The other day, I saw a railroad service truck (with the miniature flanged wheels in front and back so it can go on either paved roads or rails) sitting on Park Avenue. This got me thinking about how it got there. Is there some street entrance to GCT where a road vehicle can find its way onto the tracks?
  by NaugyRR

The hyrailer probably would've gotten onto the rails at MO and traveled to Park Avenue and GCT
  by Steamboat Willie

Correct, either a conductor flag or someone from MofW will pilot track cars to and from Mott Haven into GCT. The conductor flag will handle outside contractors and MofW personnel will handle MNR hi-rail vehicles.
  by flexliner

and how do those trucks get back out of GCT to MO to get back on asphalt?
are they double ended ?
or must they use the loop (upper only these days)
  by DutchRailnut

its all a gear shift thing, put little handle in R and use mirrors.
  by truck6018

Every day there are trucks going in reverse between Croton Harmon and Tarrytown with the ongoing Sandy work.
  by Ridgefielder

Worth noting that going in reverse is much less of a big deal when you're on rails and don't need to worry about steering or oncoming traffic. :wink:
  by roysmith

How fast can these trucks go? I assume the tiny little wheels are not as stable going over switches, junctions, etc as the full-sized train wheels?
  by DutchRailnut

Truck type hy-rail is allowed 30 mph(forward) 25 mph (backward) on straight rail, 5 mph over switches, and must stop when a train is passing them.