• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by eehiv

Content redacted in its enirety by an Admin.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Copyright infringement claim.
  by whatelyrailfan

Content redacted in its entirety by an Admin (referenced post also redacted)
  by ebtmikado

Content redacted in its entirety by an Admin (copyright infringement claim dealt with)
  by b&m 1566

Are there plans to keep going on track rehab or is this it?
  by ebtmikado

On the last day of Valley Railroad's regular operating season of the Essex Steam Train & Riverboat, parlor-observation car "Middletown" brings up the rear of the Haddam Special, on its final trip for 2016, as it departs Goodspeed Station in Haddam, CT.
Photo edited for size by an Admin, original here
29905772953_4257d0e9ee_b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by John_Perkowski

What's the history of the Middleton? She looks like some railroad gave her the betterment treatment during her service life.
  by shadyjay

Not sure of the history, but I rode in it for the first time on Sunday's Haddam Special shuttle to the Haddam yard limits. We did not enter the marina, but stopped right at the yard limit sign at the south end. Here's an interior shot of the Middletown:

Image20161023_121810 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

And a shot of the engine (3025) and the Middletown at Eagle Landing State Park in Haddam:

Image20161023_124520 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

Lots more pics of the weekend on my new rail album on FLICKR:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/ ... 284398341/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Brendan

The regular season for the Valley may be over but you have one more chance to ride with the friends of the Valley RR. This coming Saturday is the last day of the season that the FVRR will be operating the hirail truck out of Haddam Meadows. We will be giving rides on the northern end of the Valley RR from 9 to 12 Saturday morning 10/29/16. This is your last chance this year to check out this portion of the line, unless you come out and volunteer to do track work with us.

And no we are not done with the track expansion, we will continue to work year round. Like the new car has been named, Middletown is the goal. In 2012 the FVRR installed 150 ties expanding north in '13 is was 181, then 222, 340, 375 and in 2016 we will be over 500 by years end, opening about a 1/2 mile this year. We are gaining momentum ever year!
  by b&m 1566

Has the marina made any objections to the return of the railroad?
  by Otto Vondrak

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Brendan wrote:In the shop the FVRR is finishing up a restoration of a NYC box car that will be done in full paint and lettering in the next month or so.
I'd like to see some photos of this. Any progress to report?

-otto-
So what about this NYC boxcar I've been teased with?

-otto-
  by SEPTA Fan 235

I was looking back to previous posts in the thread, and noticed the new Canadian cars VALE purchased from the Adirondack Scenic. Does anyone know the numbhers for these cars? Thanks.
  by RonM

Otto Vondrak wrote:So what about this NYC boxcar I've been teased with?

-otto-
I believe that was across the street in the storage yard. From what I could see (it was dreary, chilly, and rainy, plus those stroller chariots were all over the place traversing the very full parking lot) it was painted but not lettered.

"Ice on 5!"
  by Pat Fahey

Hi
I am trying to find a complete list of all Rolling Stock , of the Valley Railroad showing former owners of equipment , as well as equipment that is in stored, or being used for other purposes on the railroad . I have been a few things on line , or at the railroads web site , so does anyone have a complete roster that is up to date . Thank you Pat
  by Brendan

The one on the Essex steam train web site is the most up to-date that is out there, but they have been on such a buying spree lately that it is hard to keep up.