• The Andersons Railcar Repair Shop - Romulus, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by poppyl

Can't help you much on that one. By the time that I became involved in these sorts of things, domestic rail shipments of nuclear weapons, except for a particular class of Navy weapons, had been replaced by air transport.

Poppyl
  by nessman

From what I understand - much of the traffic in and out of the army depot was for 'materiel' for the warehouse areas and conventional munitions for the bunker areas. Nuclear shipments by air were carried out from the airport there under very heavy armed guard - and usually under the cover of darkness.

Must have been a neat place to work back during the height of the cold war.
  by scharnhorst

A friend of mine who is long scents retired from the Auburn Police department remembers that the Military some times used to inform the local Police and fire departments along the line if they were going to ship munitions by rail on occasion the big secret was they were not told in what direction the cars would be heading it was kind of a heads up deal that a potential dangerous car might be passing by. The cars would move with out placards on them out of the base until they got to Lyons or to the Yard in Solvay where the Placards were then put on the cars.
  by lvrr325

Solvay? Under Conrail there were almost no through trains from Geneva to Solvay for like a dozen years. Before April 1976 the cars travelled on the Lehigh Valley. SO maybe for around 8 years that could have happened.
  by CPSD40-2

Been a couple years since this thread was active! I drove by the base entrance just east of the Anderson's shop, didn't look like there was anything siting right outside the doors. I have to assume that FGLK is moving cars in and out of there on a somewhat regular basis to justify the existence of the shop itself, anyone aware of how many cars are being serviced down there?
  by BR&P

I have no idea about numbers, but recently was talking with someone from FGLK who indicated the repair facility is active and cars are moving in and out.