• Tank cars in Jim Thorpe on R&N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

What are all the tank cars in Jim Thorpe on both sides of the river on the R&N lines? On the ex-LV side they are stretched as far as you can see!
  by CPSK

Good to know they're only empties - and not full of something dangerous!
  by Statkowski

The empty ones can indeed be more dangerous than the loaded ones.
  by lvrr325

What are they just using one track on the LV side, or nothing at all?
  by CPSK

Statkowski wrote:The empty ones can indeed be more dangerous than the loaded ones.
Right. My thinking was flawed when I wrote that response. The vapors from any volatile liquid are far more dangerous than the liquid itself.
I can be a bit naive sometimes, I do admit.
CP
  by CPSK

lvrr325 wrote:What are they just using one track on the LV side, or nothing at all?
They must be using one track for mainline. There was a southbound manifest freight through the gorge earlier.
Anyone know if the power plant at Hazleton still receives coal, or has that been switched to gas or oil - or been shut completely?
  by pumpers

From Lehighton Yard,south of Jim THorpe, there are 2 tracks on the east side of the Lehigh river, ex LV as was noted, up through East Jim THorpe all the way to M&H junction, where the line to Hazelton splits off. The east track of these 2 tracks belongs to R&N (track 1) and the west track (track 2) belongs to NS I believe. Can someone confirm that? North of M&H junction up through the gorge it is single track (R&N) I believe. So my guess is the R&N track (the one farthest from the river) is being used for storage and the NS track for the through trains to Allentown/Bethlehem.
The track on the west side of the river from the bridge over the LV river at Nesqhuehoning down to Packerton is ex CNJ and belongs to R&N.
Jim
  by carajul

[quote="pumpers"]From Lehighton Yard,south of Jim THorpe, there are 2 tracks on the east side of the Lehigh river, ex LV as was noted, up through East Jim THorpe all the way to M&H junction, where the line to Hazelton splits off. The east track of these 2 tracks belongs to R&N (track 1) and the west track (track 2) belongs to NS I believe. Can someone confirm that? North of M&H junction up through the gorge it is single track (R&N) I believe. So my guess is the R&N track (the one farthest from the river) is being used for storage and the NS track for the through trains to Allentown/Bethlehem.
The track on the west side of the river from the bridge over the LV river at Nesqhuehoning down to Packerton is ex CNJ and belongs to R&N.
Jim[/quote]

You are pretty much correct. The ex-LV line north of M&H Jct was sold to R&N by CR just before NS bought CR, and I think NS freaked and sued CR.
The tracks by Jim Thorpe station are ex-CNJ. They are owned by carbon county and rented by R&N. I don't think R&N owns them. The county bought that line from CR in the early 80s. CR was serving it once a week and wanted to abandon it but Ametek in Nesquehoning threw a fit. The CR crew would come up from Atown once a week and outlaw... because they were screwing around on the job. I once caught them parked in front of PQ tower drinking beers sometime in the early 80s.
  by lvrr325

I never could figure out what they were doing down there back from when they sold one track to R&N and kept the other one, I know one was out of service entirely for a time.
  by FLRailFan1

joshuahouse wrote:Oh yes, because there's never been anything ever dangerous on a rail car in Jim Thorpe before this. If you want totally safe rail cars, stick to lionel.
That's FUNNY!!
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

R&N has tank cars stored all over the system. There is another string of them on the former BM&R track from Hamburg to almost Temple. The line breaks in a few places for crossings and bridges but they are all white tank cars.Would love to be there when they move them out.