• Locos idling for days @ Shawnee OK

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

by Arlington

I have seen the same 2 locomotives (SF 3174 and a BNSF) idling [throbbing and the occasional hiss] with about 8 covered hopper cars for the last 36 hours (9pm Mon to 9am Wed) Is this standard practice? This is southbound at I-40 in Shawnee OK Why left running (daytime highs 95deg, nightly lows 75), and why here for so long?
  by Backshophoss

Believe that's a Shortline using BNSF power near Shawnee,if both units have bad batteries,you don't turn'em off!
It's not easy to "jump start" loco's.
  by Arlington

Makes perfect sense! (bad batteries and shortline consist) Thanks! BTW, they spent more than 36 hrs but less than 48 hrs there.
  by Backshophoss

Believe that's the former Rock Island Mainline from Memphis that I-40 tends to follow
2 different Shortlines in OK operate on the remains,one east of OKC,the other west of OKC.
  by Arlington

This was on a single track line running compass North-South at Shawnee and perpendicular to I-40's east-west. The line looks like the ballst is well groomed but the ties look somewhat bleached and tired, so maybe some other short line?
  by Backshophoss

It was at some point an industrial track ATSF reached via MK&T,still believe this is ex - RI as the route twist and turns along
I-40. The "reach - in" was from Flynn,off the (Amtrak)BNSF OKC Flyer route.

Not sure who got what trackage from the RI when Bankruptcy trustee "sold off" parts of the Memphis-Tucumcari Mainline.
  by Arlington

Location was just north of I-40 and just south of the square-ish pond visible here:
https://goo.gl/maps/jxamuAFt2Km" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by John_Perkowski

Based on the stated location, and looking at the Oklahoma State Railroad Map, this is a BNSF branchline off a UP line.

The Oklahoma DOT State Railroad Map

The actual map in detail, in pdf