• The European Train Enthusiasts

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Earle Baldwin

Not sure if this topic has been discussed on this board previously but I recently joined an organization titled the European Train Enthusiasts (ETE). It's a US based group catering to those who like to follow the European scene. It celebrates all aspects from the prototype to modeling so the approach is all inclusive. ETE publishes an outstanding quarterly journal titled the ETE Express which is delivered electronically or can be obtained in paper form if so desired. A complete archive of back issues is available for member review as well. Annual dues are $10 for the electronic copy option and $25 if you want the printed version.

Living along the North Jersey Coast Line, I'm in the Central New Jersey Chapter but there are many others spread across the country. This is my first year of membership in the organization and I'm impressed by what I've seen thus far. I'd recommend it to any of my fellow states based fans of foreign railways.

http://www.ete.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob
  by philipmartin

Thank you for the information and link, Bob.
  by george matthews

American readers should note that as most European countries are far more densely settled than most American areas, railways are necessary for moving large numbers of people. Hence there are far more lines than in most parts of the US and the conditions are different. They should note that electrified lines with multiple unit trains are by far the most common. Locomotive hauled passenger trains are becoming rare.
  by ExCon90

That's largely why many Americans are interested in European railways, and why some Europeans are interested in North American railways--the conditions are different.
  by johnthefireman

george matthews wrote:Locomotive hauled passenger trains are becoming rare.
I think if you take Europe as a whole, "becoming rare" is a little over-stated, although they are certainly on the decrease.
  by george matthews

johnthefireman wrote:
george matthews wrote:Locomotive hauled passenger trains are becoming rare.
I think if you take Europe as a whole, "becoming rare" is a little over-stated, although they are certainly on the decrease.
In a region with frequent trains multiple units are by far the commonest type of train. American practice may seem to be different, with a very few loco hauled long distance trains and several city regions with mainly multiple units for local operation. But the separate loco is on the way out.
  by johnthefireman

george matthews wrote:But the separate loco is on the way out.
Maybe, maybe not, but certainly far too soon to predict the demise of loco-hauled passenger trains across Europe.