• Locomotive Handsets/MICS???? PLEASE HELP

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by dsdswaff

Hey everyone,
I am really hoping someone can help me, I am trying to find out any and all info on locomotive radio's, models/brands in use today ect, especcialy for UPRR, I know BNSF/NSRR use a handset that looks like a phone on the radios they use. But what about UPRR? I can not find anything that has to do with loco radio for UPRR on the web :-(, any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
  by Engineer Spike

UP seems to use Motorola microphones like one would see on a mobile radio. They tend not to have handsets which look like the old style telephone handset, as most other lines use.
  by dsdswaff

Thanks for the help! Are there any pros/cons between the two or is it just company prefrence?
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Remove immediately preceding/nesting quotes
  by Engineer Spike

With the telephone style handset, one can put it up next to the ear. This is handy copying orders on a noisy locomotive.
  by Pj

The telephone style handsets are more expensive than the hand mics.

As far as I can tell only one company is producing them.

They (hand mics) are styled the same as public safety mics but are weighted a little more and have a little different wiring due to the aar wiring.