• PV on 461 and a PV Extra

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

I saw the M&E special come by North Haven at 10:47 then the Belleveau's PV the Greenwhich Harbor came southbound on an Amtrak train later on.
  by jhdeasy

David Telesha wrote:After 461 was in the clear, Amtrak Springfield Line Dispatcher brought the "Private Varnish" extra north. It came through Windsor Locks with P42DC 155, FL-9's 488, 489 (in Maine Eastern paint), and 7 private cars - several were Maine Eastern, also a PRR LW sleeper, and a Louisville and Nashville LW observation bringing up the markers.
PRR lightweight sleeper = ALDER FALLS six bedroom lounge

L&N lighweight observation = ROYAL ???? bedroom lounge observation, round end with high windows

by Gilbert B Norman

Royal Street perchance.

Oh yes, I realize I'm associated with a 'no photography' mindset, but I must acknowledge that I did get published by TRAINS during May 1965 thanks to one of the L&N "Royal's'.

I was $5 richer for the occasion.

According to Wayner, there were eight such cars of Pullman Std manufacture (5BR Obs Plan 4162; Lot 6814) and were placed in service during March 1950. Names and ownership follow:

SRY Royal Arch (subsequently converted to 11BR)
Royal Court (same)
Royal Palm (same)
L&N Royal Canal
Royal Street
WofA Royal Palace
NYC Royal Crest
FEC Azela (converted to Business Car)
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

The L&N car was an open end observation named Ohio River. It was painted blue.
  by jhdeasy

David Telesha wrote: a Louisville and Nashville LW observation bringing up the markers.

L&N 364 OHIO RIVER is a heavyweight (not a lightweight) business car ... a 1926 product of Pullman.

However, by coincidence, M&E also owns one of the ROYAL series lightweight bedroom lounge observation cars ... one that has not been rebuilt to an 11 double bedroom car. It is definitely not ROYAL STREET or AZALEA, so that means it is either L&N ROYAL CANAL, W of A ROYAL PALACE or NYC ROYAL CREST.

Thus the confusion about which car was truly the "Louisville and Nashville LW observation car" in the consist.

by jhdeasy

ROYAL PALACE is the lightweight bedroom lounge observation car owned by M&E.