• West Trenton Issues

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by rslitman

1. Remind me again why SEPTA gave up one of the tracks between West Trenton and Yardley. So when 323 broke down in the single track area this morning, the whole line came to a halt. Why couldn't they keep the now freight-only track electrified for emergency use by SEPTA for times like this. Boarding and alighting at Yardley and West Trenton could be accomplished by crossing the track as is done at Langhorne and Woodbourne. I'll bet that if a freight train were to break down in this segment, CSX wouldn't hesitate to use the SEPTA track to run other freights around the broken down one.

2. What's this year's weekend bus substitution on the line all about? Oh, I hope it's to restore double track service between Yardley and West Trenton! (But it's probably not.)

3. One of the most numbskulled ideas I've heard is that the passenger tunnel at West Trenton is going to be closed. Coupled with a rumored several hundred dollar fine for crossing the tracks on foot, the only way to get to and from the east side of the tracks will be along the road, where it's very muddy after each rain and where the most direct route is a steep stairway. If the concern is that the tunnel is creepy, I think it's in better shape than the similar one at Jenkintown. I hope this rumor is not true. If it is, I want to know how this decision can be reversed.
  by SCB2525

Direct any ire for West Trenton station to NJT.
  by Limited-Clear

Septa didn't give up one of he tracks, they never owned it, remember septa dispatched on CSX tracks from Wood to Trent, the separation enables freight to move quicker and faster, the septa trains actually move better now they don't wait for 110 car freights to cross in front of them, since the separation this is about he first incident where something has gone wrong (over half the trains are now 40yrs old, NEWS FLASH they break!!!)

The station at West Trenton is in poor condition, but that's an NJT problem and as they don't serve West Trenton you will be hard pushed to find anything done about it, Ewing township are the ones to talk about for the underpass, a fine for crossing a busy live track is fully welcomed here, about time a real punishment for putting yourselves in danger was issued, I can only hope that Septa and local police enforce it systemwide, you wouldn't try crossing I95 or the turnpike so why are railroads any different.
  by Suburban Station

Limited-Clear wrote:Septa didn't give up one of he tracks, they never owned it, remember septa dispatched on CSX tracks from Wood to Trent, the separation enables freight to move quicker and faster, the septa trains actually move better now they don't wait for 110 car freights to cross in front of them, since the separation this is about he first incident where something has gone wrong (over half the trains are now 40yrs old, NEWS FLASH they break!!!)

The station at West Trenton is in poor condition, but that's an NJT problem and as they don't serve West Trenton you will be hard pushed to find anything done about it, Ewing township are the ones to talk about for the underpass, a fine for crossing a busy live track is fully welcomed here, about time a real punishment for putting yourselves in danger was issued, I can only hope that Septa and local police enforce it systemwide, you wouldn't try crossing I95 or the turnpike so why are railroads any different.
Does septa publish otp data by line?
Who will be enforcing the crossing rules?
  by roadmaster

Suburban Station wrote:Does septa publish otp data by line?
This has an OTP number:

http://septa.org/strategic-plan/reports ... istics.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Who knows how this number is created and how they decide what is on time - is the threshold a minute after scheduled time, over 5, 10,... minutes late?

Suburban Station wrote:Who will be enforcing the crossing rules?
It is usually the yokel, I mean local... law enforcement, Crossing tracks, either on Amtrak, SEPTA, NJT is one of those "offenses" I rarely ever see enforced; especially at a station - even with fences. Usually the focus is on the dude wearing an engineer's cap perched on the platform with a video tripod set up and scanner in hand.
  by Steampowered

SCB2525 wrote:Direct any ire for West Trenton station to NJT.
West Trenton is a SEPTA station
  by SCB2525

In service only. Maintenance and capital improvements are the responsibility of NJT.