• Getting the 20th Century into and out of GCT

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ExNYC63

The NORMAL way the "Century" was placed on track 34 was with the "Creek" car at the
bumper post. I know as I rode the train several times. However, there were times
when possibly due to late east bound arrivals and thus late servicing the S motor
would not have time to do the run around move.
  by Ocala Mike

As a youngster (12-13 yrs. old), I used to (for want of a better word) "railfan" Grand Central, and the image burned into my brain is of the red carpet going down, and peering through the Track 34 gate to catch sight of the rounded end of that beautiful observation car.

Thinking on what I used to do back in the mid-50's as an unaccompanied minor, I believe I would have Homeland Security on my case if I tried that stuff now (at any age). I had no trouble accessing platforms without a ticket back then, and got to know the guy in the Arrival Station (who kept that green board up to date) quite well. Only got in trouble once when the GCT Police thought I was a runaway, and called my Mom to "release" me.