• POED / EDPO (Portland - East Deerfield trains)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Mike16

Hi Folks,

I just moved to Portsmouth, NH and looking to do some railfanning.
I noticed a few shots from Exeter, NH - which is not far from my house - and am
curious if that is the best spot to perhaps checking out some action?

I don't mind driving a little bit, but coming from the Philadelphia area, I am just not
sure of the best places quite yet.

Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Also, do they frequent the radio in this area, or will my scanner be dead air most of the time?

Cheers,
B/M Mike
  by 690

Can't really help you out much with the radio chatter or locations, that's a bit further west than I usually go, but I'd recommend joining the Facebook group Pan Am Railfans, there are a lot of members there that live in that area, and report trains going through.
  by WN&P

POED rolled through Durham at around 5:00 PM today, in the general area of Exeter.

I don't know if you're aware of the fred frequencies 457.9375 MHz and 452.9375. If you see one of these on your scanner its likely there is a train within a few miles of you. You can use those to see if you're likely to see anything regardless of actual conversation over the radio
  by BostonUrbEx

WN&P wrote:POED rolled through Durham at around 5:00 PM today, in the general area of Exeter.

I don't know if you're aware of the fred frequencies 457.9375 MHz and 452.9375. If you see one of these on your scanner its likely there is a train within a few miles of you. You can use those to see if you're likely to see anything regardless of actual conversation over the radio
You can hear an EOT with a scanner?!
  by KSmitty

BostonUrbEx wrote:What does it sound like?
Its a chirp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqcvCt9aNAQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Length and frequency vary with air pressure and train line status. It can be nearly constant around yards, and a great sound if youre in the boonies at a crossing...short range of 2-5 miles maybe, so if you hear it you know a train is close.
  by newpylong

EDPO didn't make it 10 miles before dying at Millers this morning. EDAY crew waiting for an engine to go rescue.
  by atholrail

Here's shot of POED hustling across the Scarborough Marsh last Sunday...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123370123 ... ed-public/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by gokeefe

Screaming along with two units on six axle power up front no less. Calendar worthy shot.