Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraRy

okay, today was my first time riding the electric district, so sorry if this is common info, but i was wondering why there is a single level coach under a tarp in the yard? what purpose did it or does it serve? Is it owned by metra?

by Scotty Burkhardt

Ive been wondering for years where it came from and what it was/is used for. All I can tell you is that it has been sitting there for at least 5 years and it is a coach painted light blue and letterd for the CB&Q.

by byte

Could it be an unused dynameter car?

by MetraRy

passed it again. i don't really think its a dynameter car. it looks like a regular coach. it almost looks like the single level that operates on the kenosha line

by byte

That might explain it then ... because there used to be two single level coaches that ran on the Kenosha line. That's probably the other one that's not used anymore.

Edit: But that doesn't explain why it's lettered like a CB&Q car and painted light blue...