Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

Which is the WORST Metro North Station

Melrose/Tremont/Wakefield
20%
Glenwood
No votes
0%
White Plains
20%
North White Plains
No votes
0%
New Rochelle
No votes
0%
Stamford
20%
Bridgeport
No votes
0%
Merritt 7
No votes
0%
South Norwalk
No votes
0%
Anything on the Waterbury
40%
  by Jeff Smith

Inspired by a Facebook page. Please feel free to editorialize, comment, and include additions.

Enjoy :wink:
  by Rockingham Racer

Breakneck Ridge.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

If "anything Waterbury" doesn't win this in a rout, we have to organize a fantrip for all you "mainliners" to see how the other half lives. Preferably in a Shoreliner I set with stopped-up plumbing. :wink:
  by Backshophoss

Anything Waterbury tops the list,with the poor designed Bridgeport station #2,the current setup at Stamford
is a "liveable" #3 due to the island platform additions,otherwise it would be a tie at #2 with Bridgeport..... :wink:

Don't believe the trail "Flagstops" count due to limited service to them.
Last edited by Backshophoss on Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by YamaOfParadise

Am I missing something, or is it impossible to vote in the poll?
  by runningwithscalpels

You're probably not, Jeff likely screwed it up :D

If you look at some of the *old* facilities on the Waterbury branch it's not as awful. For example, the Naugatuck station building was designed by McKim, Mead, and White (as well as several other buildings in town like the library and old post office) While not still in use in a railroad capacity, the station is in good condition...too bad they would rather use the glorified bus shelter a couple hundred yards up the tracks instead.

Personally, Bridgeport annoys me the most. After six months of the Devon transfer, it sucked going back! Cramped platforms because people don't know how to disperse, choking on the clouds of smoke from everyone lighting up to speed smoke a cigarette after getting off the main line train to go back to Waterbury, the asinine waiting area on the New Haven side...at least the main waiting room is spacious, etc.
  by runningwithscalpels

And if you want to comment on sparcity of facilities. Beacon Falls wins. Lowest ridership, literally a bus shelter AND...the sign doesn't match any other NHL sign!
  by DutchRailnut

like one Engineer use to tell me: "you want to live in cheap house in country ?? well take a hike " ;-)
  by Ridgefielder

Of the stations I've been in more than once, I've always disliked Katonah. A long, long staircase up from the parking lot, "waiting" area in an enclosed bridge that is stifling in summer and smells of urine most the time, no toilet facilities (which may explain the smell.) Always felt to me like a subway station that got airlifted out of The Bronx and plopped down by the side of the Interstate up-county. I'll say right up front that I've never ridden the Waterbury, and my MN (as opposed to Amtrak) experience of the Hudson is pretty much confined to Yankee Stadium and Riverdale.
  by Jeff Smith

I was able to vote, but then I'm the CEO. I don't know, polling in this forum is always a bit difficult.
  by DutchRailnut

no way to vote ?? you fixing it with hanging chats ??
  by mvb119

I nominate Croton Harmon, although I admit I haven't been in the station since they started refurbishing it so maybe it is better now.
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:If "anything Waterbury" doesn't win this in a rout, we have to organize a fantrip for all you "mainliners" to see how the other half lives. Preferably in a Shoreliner I set with stopped-up plumbing. :wink:
I've been in more Shoreliner III and IV's with nasty smelling bathrooms than I's. They're comparatively nice since they went out for refurbishment haha.
  by DutchRailnut

Melrose, but voting still don't work.
  by alewifebp

While Croton Harmon isn't bad in a general sense, it is bad in that the waiting room is much smaller than it should be. It's like Metropark in that way. Plenty of long platforms and plenty of patronage, but the Metropark waiting area is even smaller.
  by truck6018

Mount Pleasant. Small platform, not handicap accessible, no benches or waiting area and it's surroundings are rather dead.