• "East X" and "West X" near Geneva

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ctclark1

Not gonna lie, I was initially drawn to the very obvious "X" in the middle of the fields just east of the area actually in question in your original Cornell link, Russ. Now that I'm focusing on the right spot...

As to the question about why it existed and then was apparently gone so early, was it perhaps an early option for trains on either branch to continue un-interrupted (so-to-speak) onto the opposite branch? For example - The way the tracks show on the 1902 topo map, trains heading south on the Auburn Road would not have been able to continue south on the "Pennsylvania Div" (the west side of Geneva Lake) without stopping and changing ends at Geneva. (and vice-versa - northbound trains on the Penn Div would not have been able to get to the northern Auburn without doing the same)

It is also possible that the east leg of the wye at the county line was not constructed originally, so it would've allowed SB trains on the "Penn Div" (Lyons branch, I assume) to continue eastward on the Auburn... This could have been an early setup, which was succeeded by the "current" layout due to traffic demands and deciding that some paths were unnecessary? (Construct the full wye at the county line to allow Penn Div trains to access the eastward Auburn, but maybe they decided traffic patterns meant Northern Auburn to/from Southern Penn Div was unnecessary.

(I hope that all makes sense. It's what appeared to me as I looked at the "big picture" of here south to Geneva)
  by BR&P

RussNelson wrote:I posted a link to this from the Abandoned Rails group over on Facebook, and Sean Angelo points out that signs like the one I found on the NW leg can be found "up and down the Auburn Road right of way, I believe they are old No Trespassing signs from NYC days." I couldn't see anything printed on the sign, but maybe that's because it was on the other side, away from the railroad?
Russ, That sure looks like their typical No Trespassing sign. I never went around to the other side of that sign but it's quite likely that time has totally eliminated any lettering. Rust never sleeps!