• New Hampshire Northcoast Railroad (NHN) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Dick H

The FURX 5509 leaser for the NHN is reported to be on SEPO today (Saturday)
Was at Ayer at noontime. Unknown if it will be dropped at Ayer or Lawrence
for forwarding on EDPO. SEPO seldom, if ever, stops at Dover, so it might
continue to Portland and be brought back to Dover on another job. No
recent photos that I have seen on the web so far...
  by b&m 1566

Any track work taking shape for upgrades and expansion north?
  by Stmtrolleyguy

b&m 1566 wrote:
RRFAN wrote:What is the New Hampshire Northcoast schedule?
This question seems to come up a lot.

The closest thing to a schedule I believe are south bound trains to Dover during the afternoons, Monday - Thursday. Pan Am crews take the train to Boston at night and return to Dover in the early mornings before the morning commute starts. NHN crew takes the train to Ossipee in the AM Tuesday - Friday. I know there is a shuttle run mid-day but not sure if its limited days.

Will any of the upgrades be taking place this year? (extension north and line upgrades)
From my experience over the past month or two, at least on Tuesdays, the NHN train usually passes through Wilmington on its way to Boston between 11 and 11:20 at night. It's usually right before or right after the outbound commuter rail train to Lowell. Wilmington is neat because they have flashing strobe lights to alert passengers to oncoming trains - so you get a brief heads up that something is coming, They don't slow dowm very much for the station or the interocking/switches.

Once or twice I've caught a Guilford local trundling by with 5-10 cars in that same 11-midnight window.
  by fogg1703

eustis22 wrote:Umm..Lebanon?
Thats Lebanon Maine. Looks like the Prospect Hill Rd crossing to me. Awesome shots Eric. Thanks for posting.
  by ereuter

eustis22 wrote:Umm..Lebanon?
Yes, fogg1703 is right, taken from the north side of Prospect Hill Rd. NHN/Conway Branch is all in NH, except for 1500 ft or so where it runs from Milton into Lebanon and back into Milton. Most of the train is in NH in the photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by b&m 1566

Did NHN or interested customers (ie. Colemans) ever respond to the states RFP for the Conway Branch? We know GER did.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

b&m 1566 wrote:Did NHN or interested customers (ie. Colemans) ever respond to the states RFP for the Conway Branch? We know GER did.
No. That sand pit Madison customer NHN wants is on the OOS trackage, which requires moving forward on the Conway Branch Restoration Study recs before there's even a basis for issuing an operator RFP. An RFP for Ossippee-North Conway would be worthless absent any action on that all-important prerequisite step.

Given how intensely specialized NHN is on handling aggregates traffic, even if they were interested in exploring non-contiguous operating rights there's nothing up there that remotely fits their business model unless it involves going through Madison first. The BS&G majority stake in the railroad establishes some pretty cut-and-dried boundaries for how far they'd be willing to stick their necks out to dabble in speculative business. They're a parasitic appendage to BS&G that's common-carier in name only. NHN's prospects for growth in non- sand/gravel carloads comes from shooting free throws everywhere they can in-between pickups at the monster sand pits...something they're starting to do a bit more of on the existing mainline. But for genuine expansion territory, "Madison or bust" is pretty much the only way the BS&G overlords would see any point behind putting out feelers for those RFP's. It would take an infusion of new minority investors jumping in because they want to push for more common carrier / non- BS&G-serving business to really change NHN's business calculus.
  by Narrowgauger

While I agree with most of your assessment of The NHN might, I remind you ,they handle quite a bit of non BSG business in the form of tank cars to Rochester. On occasion they have had to handle the tanks and no sand. Since the end of the big dig in Boston I would think any added business would be in there favor. No?
  by Mikejf

Very interesting F-Line. Do you know if the gravel they are after in Madison is an existing operation?