• Lansdale 9th street

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by trackwelder

ExCon90 wrote:
JeffK wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:Lansdale Borough now has three separate SEPTA RRD stations within its boundaries including Pennbrook.
That said, overall RRD station spacings are some of the closest of any comparable system in the country. That's a major factor in SEPTA's relatively low average speed figures. The problem is that nearly any effort to close or consolidate stations is met with loud opposition. It's the same objection that's raised every time SEPTA proposes improving city bus speeds by only stopping at every other block. Even though skip-stops are common practice in many other cities, it ain't gonna happen in Philadelphia!
Closing a station on SEPTA Regional Rail immediately raises the problem of how to find additional parking at the remaining adjacent stations. As far as I know, in most places parking is the ruling constraint against increasing ridership, and if the displaced passengers can't find parking at a nearby station they're gone. As it is, SEPTA can't even close 49th Street and Angora, which have no parking spaces, because of local political opposition and despite the proximity of two trolley routes with much more frequent service.
keeping 49th st and angora has more to do with when inepta puts the thumbscrews a little too tight on my brothers and sisters and i.