• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

by kaitoku

Other news:
1. settlement with boaters
The marine industry and the proposed All Aboard Florida passenger train are making peace over the New River bridge in downtown Fort Lauderdale.

A test by the Coast Guard has proved successful in trimming the time the railroad bridge needs to be closed, allowing both boats and trains to share the river — at least for now, leaders said.

Later, the marine industry would like to see an elevated bridge built over the river for the passenger trains to use instead, said Phil Purcell, executive director of the Marine Industries Association of South Florida.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. name change/addition in the works?
Miami-to-Orlando rail travelers could find themselves boarding train cars emblazoned with “Bright Line” as well as “All Aboard Florida.”

The Coral Gables-based company — an umbrella organization for rail expansion and real estate developments — is expected to unveil the separate rail operations brand next month.

All Aboard Florida on Wednesday declined to confirm the new brand, saying only that “it has some great things in store.”
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/shaping-our- ... 99491.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Jeff Smith

Palm Beach Post

Emphasis added; any one here?
All Aboard Florida to release first images of its trains Monday

All Aboard Florida will release the first images of its trains on Monday, as part of a marketing event the company said it will hold to “unveil” its passenger service between Miami and Orlando.

For weeks, All Aboard Florida has taken to its social media accounts to hint at “exciting news” it plans to release as part of the event, which will be held at the site of the company’s future station in downtown Miami.

All Aboard has been mum about the details of the announcement, but several of the project’s followers have speculated on social media sites that All Aboard plans to re-brand itself with a new name and logo.
  by kaitoku

It appears the AAF website has been revised, with more emphasis on service promotions via a "blog" ("Girls' Miami Getaway", etc.) and progress reports on construction more prominent on the front page.
http://www.allaboardflorida.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Rockingham Racer

The AAF trains are going to be called Brightline. It wouldn't be a name I'd pick, but that's it.
  by deathtopumpkins

They have a new Facebook page now - "GoBrightline"
  by Jeff Smith

Some detail, if you don't mind, from the above article and company web-site:
<SNIPS>
However, the design of the trains will try to emphasize speed and modern technology. The fleet is being constructed in California by Siemens USA, and the design, seen above, is meant to evoke high-speed rail. The trains will be painted with flashy, brightly colored designs in five colors: red, orange, green, blue, and pink. All trains will be pulled by a distinctive yellow locomotive.

Notably, the company didn't release any mockups today of the trains' interiors, but the Brightline promises "giant picture windows that are perfectly aligned with every seat." Free Wi-Fi will be offered, and power outlets will be available onboard. Seats will be covered in leather, and seating configurations will vary throughout the trains. Passengers will be able to have beverages, including wine and coffee, delivered to their seats, and a café car will provide food.

Ticket prices were also not confirmed, but the company has long said the cost to ride the Brightline will be comparable to the cost to drive between Miami and Orlando. Earlier reports this year, however, suggested that a one-way ticket from Miami to Orlando would cost about $143.
Pictures downloaded from news site, which attributes them to company. You're going to need sunglasses to view them; hazard similar to looking directly at the sun comparison obligatory... :wink: :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Noel Weaver

Here's some more about AAF. There is construction on the railroad all over our area (Fort Lauderdale) Street closings for a few days at a time to put down the second track over the crossings, a three track stretch through Fort Lauderdale, rail and ties all over the place for the second track and more. It sure is interesting and good news considering that some of the freight railroads are cutting back due to downturns in business especially coal. Here is a link.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/de ... /75179722/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Noel Weaver
  by BandA

Rockingham Racer wrote:The AAF trains are going to be called Brightline. It wouldn't be a name I'd pick, but that's it.
Could be worse, it could be Florida East Coast Atlantic Line :wink:

"Brightline" sounds like some kind of transit authority streetcar. But the livery is attractive. Are they are missing the opportunity to cross-promote the freight service?
  by gokeefe

I like the branding. I like that fact that its a stand alone passenger brand and I like the fact that it is very modern.

This is designed to appeal to people who have never though of taking rail before. I think its perfect. Approachable, "bright"/"happy", also implies ease of use.

I think this is what American passenger rail is going to look like in the 21st century.
  by Jeff Smith

Retitled. Here's the question that the rebranding begs to be asked: now that it's marketed separately, although ultimately owned by FEC, should this go into the Florida forum, or remain in FEC?
  by gokeefe

I see no reason to move the topic. Its fundamentally a service offering by the railroad.

I'm curious if there are any legacy regulations still on the books that Brightline would be covered under.

I think they all got wiped out by RPSA '71 but perhaps not....??

FEC is also an interesting case in this situation because of the strike which would have eliminated any "legacy" provisions in CBAs for passenger service.

Such provisions could potentially still exist in CBAs elsewhere......
  by Ridgefielder

Gilbert B Norman wrote:http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/all-a ... ne-8038094

http://gobrightline.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow, quite the livery.
Well we're talking about a railroad that "back in the day" thought nothing of hauling purple & silver passenger equipment with a brace of red-yellow-silver-and-black cab units, after all...