• Philadelphia Belt RR questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by glennk419

RDG467 wrote:The Belt LIne used to connect with the Reading at their Wilow & Noble St. yards, north of the Benny, and continued up to Port Richmond.
Is this the same line that continued up North American Street and onward to Tabor Junction?
  by olneytrains

Yes, it went north on front st and then northwest to schmidts brewery and up Germantown ave onto American street all the way to Tabor Jct. A lot of trackage still exists near Front and Spring Garden, Schmidts and American St looks like it is ready for traffic but it is severed from any active line. Ed
  by westernfalls

olneytrains wrote:
glennk419 wrote:
RDG467 wrote:The Belt LIne used to connect with the Reading at their Wilow & Noble St. yards... and continued up to Port Richmond.
Is this the same line that continued up North American Street and onward to Tabor Junction?
Yes, it went north on front st and then northwest...
Well, no, depending on what "this" and "it" refer to.
The Philadelphia Belt was along the waterfront.
The Philadelphia & Reading came east to the waterfront via Willow and Noble Sts.
The North Pennsylvania came south to the waterfront via American and Front Sts.
  by roadmaster

This map was created when freight railroading was at it's peak in Philadelphia and should fill in the blanks

https://www.philageohistory.org/rdic-im ... DMisc%2D11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Philadelphia Belt Railroad is still in existence with one employee.
  by pumpers

One interesting historical note -- I think the North Penn RR was actually built by the PRR around 1870, and then sold to the Reading perhaps 10 years later or so. Its construction may have been related to the PRR trying to (unsuccessfully) stop a future Reading affiliate from building from NJ across the Delaware to the Philadelphia area. Hope I am at least halfway right. JS
  by glennk419

pumpers wrote:One interesting historical note -- I think the North Penn RR was actually built by the PRR around 1870, and then sold to the Reading perhaps 10 years later or so. Its construction may have been related to the PRR trying to (unsuccessfully) stop a future Reading affiliate from building from NJ across the Delaware to the Philadelphia area. Hope I am at least halfway right. JS
I believe it was the Philadelphia, Newtown and New York Railroad (aka Reading Newtown Branch) which was originally built by the PRR with intentions of extending it across the Delaware between Trenton and New Hope. It was conveyed to the Reading in 1879.
  by pumpers

Glenn, you are right. The North Penn RR took over (leased?, bought?) the Philadelphia Newtown and New York in 1879 (when the PRR plans to block the new line from NJ to PA, which became the Reading line through West Trenton, had failed). That must of been the source of my confusion. THanks for straightening me out, JS
  by RDG467

Good points, pumpers, glennk419 and olneyrails.

The PN&NY connected with the North Penn at Erie Ave. It was the line that (looking N) split off the NP just before the Erie Ave bridge, curved around the roundhouse over towards 2nd St. and then paralleled the west side of 2nd for about a half mile. 2nd Street went up a ramp to meet Rising Sun, and the PN&NY continued on it's own r-o-w under that intersection.

2nd St 'disappeared' between Rising Sun, which runs diagonally, and Wyoming Ave. Above Wyoming, the tracks were now on the East side of 2nd, and they then ducked under the Blvd., bridged Ashdale, Duncannon and Fisher before curving to the NE and crossing over Mascher and Tabor Rds, near the current Olney Station, and thence onto Cheltenham and Newtown on the current alignment.

The current track from Olney to Newtown Junction was added by the Reading to route all trains to RDG Terminal. I believe that was in 1893. It crossed over the NP btwn 6th and 7th sts. I know we're a bit far afield of the original question, but that's how these threads go sometimes, right?
  by carajul

Looking at the old arials even in the 1970s the waterfront was full of small yards and a lot of freight cars spotted. The south end of Greenwich yard was a coal float operation.