• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ACeInTheHole

Wellp, another loose/open rooftop AC panel incident occured.. This time it was #622 on 170, and it wasnt caught before it made it to NYP, where the upward jutting panel made contact with the wire, nice loud bang. Im not jealous of anyone in Penn Station at track level at about 8:30 AM this morning.
  by Jeff Smith

I tell you what, that would scare the crap out of me, and has. Slightly OT, but I remember back in the early 70's (you're not old, JOE! I am!) a NH 4400 blew something in a pantograph near where I was standing on the platform in Mamaroneck.
  by Fan Railer

Martin Baumann wrote:Which is the highest number in revenue service so far? 660?
They haven't even tested 660 yet, as far as I know.

Someone reported 653 in revenue service, so that unit is likely the highest in revenue service so far. Remember that there is a break in the weekly testing schedule around the holidays (starting in a few weeks), so we likely won't see any 66x units in revenue until after the New Year, if my math / memory is correct.
  by DutchRailnut

highest reported by buffs is 655 in boston yesterday on revenue train.
  by Fan Railer

Word today was 655 was on her Keystone test today (BOS test tomorrow and thursday), so I'd guess that buff's eyes need to be checked.
  by ThirdRail7

Martin Baumann wrote:Which is the highest number in revenue service so far? 660?
654 is the highest in revenue service but not all units up to that number are in service yet.
  by Fan Railer

ThirdRail7 wrote:
654 is the highest in revenue service but not all units up to that number are in service yet.
Is 652 in the revenue rotation after her second round of tests?
  by nomis

655 made it to Boston today, as seen in South Station at 5:30pm
  by ACeInTheHole

Jeff Smith wrote:I tell you what, that would scare the crap out of me, and has. Slightly OT, but I remember back in the early 70's (you're not old, JOE! I am!) a NH 4400 blew something in a pantograph near where I was standing on the platform in Mamaroneck.
Haha. Youre never going to let me hear the end of that are you?

654 is highest in revenue service, 655 is testing.. 652 is not in service yet.. Who knows with that one.
  by Gilbert B Norman

DutchRailnut wrote:662 left on todays #6 from west coast.
ApproachMedium wrote:660-59-58-57 are all at wilmington in a line. I dont know what they are waiting for. More AEM-7s have been retired this past week as well.
With Mr. Railnut's captioned report dated Oct 24, it would appear that the production is almost complete. That final acceptance of the units sitting at Wilmington noted by Mr. Approach Oct 25, does not appear top priority, even though an AEM-7 in revenue service is now "the sighting", would suggest Amtrak has the electric locomotives needed to meet its requirements. This would suggest that 601 will be stripped of parts and otherwise scrapped.

However, Amtrak is fortunate that both SEPTA and MARC have placed orders for ACS-64's that will keep the production lines open for surely another year. While first and foremost is that the Legal Department allows 601 out of its "Evidence Bag", and since many more $$$$ are at stake than the replacement of a locomotive, "it's their call", Amtrak does have time to decide if 601 is to be replaced.
  by gregorygrice

Gilbert B Norman wrote:However, Amtrak is fortunate that both SEPTA and MARC have placed orders for ACS-64's that will keep the production lines open for surely another year. While first and foremost is that the Legal Department allows 601 out of its "Evidence Bag", and since many more $$$$ are at stake than the replacement of a locomotive, "it's their call", Amtrak does have time to decide if 601 is to be replaced.

Where did you hear that? Last I checked MARC is getting rid of all of their electric locomotives in the next couple of years and going all diesel.
  by nomis

nomis wrote:655 made it to Boston today, as seen in South Station at 5:30pm
And 655 departed BOS at 9:41am with two cafe cars.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Grice, all I can say is "one railroad forum or the other"; I'm not known around here for "dreaming stuff up".