• Red Line vs. Green Line

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Munchabunch

After riding quite a bit on these two lines, I would now say that, compared to the Red Line, the Green Line offers:
[*]a smoother ride
[*]newer equipment
[*]newer stations
[*]less overcrowding
[*]nicer scenery
The Red Line, however, does have one big advantage:
[*]more transit-oriented development
  by JDC

I'm not sure about the 'pro' you listed for the Red line - I think its end stations (say everything past Medical Center and Silver Spring) are relatively non-TOD. The Green line admittedly has a lot of non-TOD past Fort Totten and past Navy Yard, but it has a lot of TOD areas in between, and Navy Yard is a huge development of TOD for that station.
  by Munchabunch

I remember when the Branch Avenue station opened in 2001, and am amazed at how slowly the land around it has developed.
  by MCL1981

You left some thing off. Such as on the red line, you're far less likely to be robbed, stabbed, shot, or murdered.
  by mtuandrew

MCL1981 wrote:You left some thing off. Such as on the red line, you're far less likely to be robbed, stabbed, shot, or murdered.
I beg to differ. Your comment sounds suspiciously prejudiced against the people who live in the communities along the Green Line.
  by MCL1981

No, it's called reality. Everyone knows the green line serves really bad areas with really bad people. And those really bad people commit violent crimes on the trains, stations, and parking areas on a regular basis. I never said nothing happens on the other lines, so you citing one incident on the red line is meaningless. That one incident has no effect on the crime and risk on the green line.
  by mtuandrew

MCL1981 wrote:No, it's called reality. Everyone knows the green line serves really bad areas with really bad people.
I agree, Navy Yard-Ballpark and College Park-U of M are full of dangerous, inconsiderate people.

Or did you mean elsewhere?
  by MCL1981

You're a moderator. Act like one. Making out of context presumptions like that is uncalled for and blatantly obvious. I called out no specific areas, nor did I say every area it serves is bad. You're the only one doing that. Anyone that actually rides the metro knows what I'm saying is accurate and reality. If you want to make it a political or race issue, there are other forums for that.
  by Jeff Smith

Let's move on; I don't think anything was intended with malice aforethought. Not sure there's much of a topic here to be had anyway, just an observation.