• 2015 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BandA

Is there a pattern to which engines are repeatedly failing? Can't tell based on the train number. Is anyone being held accountable?
  by ck4049

Most of the time mechanical failures happen without warning. Not sure why anyone would be held responsible for that.
  by Komarovsky

Thanks dbperry or the full story. From where I was sitting in 512 it was certainly most seats taken, but not SRO by any means. I think the big issue a lot of people at Worcester had was that we could see 508's set just sitting there when we were told that it wouldn't be coming for us and that we all had to wait 25 minutes on 512's set before we could leave.
  by BandA

ck4049 wrote:Most of the time mechanical failures happen without warning. Not sure why anyone would be held responsible for that.
If an engine fails, is "fixed" then fails again the next day. Not saying that's what's happening, but the failures seem more frequent than you would expect.
  by csor2010

Sounds like the Rockburyport had a bad afternoon...167 died in the Salem tunnel. Apparently 56 eventually shoved the set out after its passengers disembarked. Cascading delays all the way down, with 115 & 169 90-95min down once the clog was cleared.

Per the MBTA_CR twitter (which just happened to re-tweet someone's picture of 167) the culprit may have been the 1129, which was also causing problems on the Worcester Line a few weeks ago.
  by octr202

Yeah, here's the culprit in action before the failure, passing Reading Jct. Not my photo, although I was on 215 where this person shot it from. Keolis (@mbta_cr) retweeted it as mentioned.

https://twitter.com/eddiefelker/status/ ... 3234728960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Type 7 3684

Fun morning for the commuter rail.

Framingham/Worcester Line Train 502 (5:20 am from Worcester) delayed today 15-20 minutes due to an earlier mechanical problem.
Last Updated: 10/9/2015 6:40:23 AM

Framingham/Worcester Line Train 582 (6:05 am from Worcester) delayed today 20-30 minutes due to an earlier mechanical problem.
Last Updated: 10/9/2015 6:09:01 AM

Framingham/Worcester Line Train 504 (5:45 am from Worcester) delayed today 20-30 minutes due to mechanical issues.

Franklin Line Train 706 (6:35 am from Forge Park / 495) delayed today 10-15 minutes due to switch problem

Middleborough/Lakeville Line Train 008 (7:20 am from Middleborough/ Lakeville) delayed today 20-25 minutes due to mechanical problem. Updates will follow.

Providence/Stoughton Line Train 806 (5:58 am from Wickford Junction) is short cars due to mechanical problems. An express train following will make local stops to assist.
Affected direction: Inbound

Last Updated: 10/9/2015 5:37:15 AM

Providence/Stoughton Line Train 802 (4:50 am from Wickford Junction) delayed today due to mechanical problem
  by Komarovsky

This evening there are speed restrictions on the Worcester line between Auburndale and Wellesley Hills/Square and possibly between Natick and West Natick. Delayas for 523/527 are about 10-15 minutes each. Anyone know the source of the speed restrictions?

Edit: Also restrictions west of Framingham as well?
  by Type 7 3684

Needham Line Train 627 (6:25 pm from South Station) delayed today due to disavled train ahead. 40-50mins

What does "disavled" mean? :P
  by Hoopyfrood

Type 7 3684 wrote:Needham Line Train 627 (6:25 pm from South Station) delayed today due to disavled train ahead. 40-50mins

Probably the same thing as "Brokeded"
  by Type 7 3684

Hoopyfrood wrote:
Type 7 3684 wrote:Needham Line Train 627 (6:25 pm from South Station) delayed today due to disavled train ahead. 40-50mins

Probably the same thing as "Brokeded"
Ehehheheeheh, I love when the MBTA fails with their spelling :-D
  by BandA

If my car brokeded as often as the T's trains get disavled I would do something about it.
  by Type 7 3684

What about that time the Orange Line was delayed due to a "disabled bus?"
  by chrisf

The Needham line was a mess last night, October 9. The 623 failed somewhere near Forest Hills, and was there until 625 tied on, with the 623 eventually falling about 95 minutes late. Apparently the 623's set was emptied at Roslindale causing the passengers to wait for 627, or something similar happened. It's not real clear from what I saw on Twitter, but big problems happened all around.
  by 8th Notch

From what I could hear over the radio, 623 could not make it up the hill at Dale so 625 was to tie on and assist.