• Roelofs, PA Track Pans

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

by GSDenshaw

Lizette Architectural Drawings Composite 3CV smaller.jpg
Lizette Architectural Drawings Composite 3DV Alternate smaller.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by GSDenshaw

I found an article about The West Trenton RR Bridge which was published in ENGINEERING NEWS Volume 69 Number 22 May 29, 1913:
For RR.jpg
This description suggests several things to me:

1) Travelling East from Yardley there is a bridge over South Main Street adjacent to the station.
This is followed by another bridge over the Delaware Canal,
which leads into the approach to the West Trenton RR bridge,
which is an earthen embankment.

2) I had thought that the original track pans were located West of the station. This idea was based on known water supply
( Silver Lake Dam and Oxford Road Pump Station - This was known as White's Lake when the dam was built in the 1870s )
and the belief that locating track pans on the elevated embankment East of the station would leave them too exposed to
wind, weather, and a greater likelihood of freezing. This description would indicate a location on the bridge approach
( how else could water splash onto the bridge members ? )
Track Pan - Bridge Article Points of Reference copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by GSDenshaw

This is a diagram of the construction plant which was set up on the PA side to build The West Trenton RR Bridge:
Article - 10 PA Construction Plant Enlarged copy.jpg
  by amtrakhogger

The original bridge over the Delaware River was a steel type sitting on stone piers (which are still standing today.) I would like to say it was a deck type bridge for lack of a better term.
  by GSDenshaw

amtrakhogger wrote:The original bridge over the Delaware River was a steel type sitting on stone piers (which are still standing today.) I would like to say it was a deck type bridge for lack of a better term.
Postcard Photo for RR.jpg
Yardleyville Centenial Bridge 2 for RR.jpg
Yardleyville Centenial Bridge larger.jpg
This was actually an iron bridge.
  by amtrakhogger

Ok, I stand corrected.
  by GSDenshaw

Article Excerpt and illustration 8-19-1876 copy.jpg
  by GSDenshaw

Yardley-Station 22 - RR.jpg
  by GSDenshaw

FT's 251 (A&B) lead B &O freight #695 through Yardley, PA, on New York Branch on June 11, 1961. Train will terminate in B & O's Eastside Yard in Phila. (Photo by Martin Zak - Flags, Diamonds & Statues, ARHS).
Yardley 1961 RR 1.jpg
Yardley 1961 RR.jpg
  by GSDenshaw

Two more photos of the Yardleyville Centennial Bridge. These were taken in 1892 by William Henry Jackson and were commissioned by the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad.
1892 NJ.jpg
1892 PA.jpg