Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Head-end View

I don't understand. Even in the most automated rapid transit systems such as BART and WMATA, there is an employee at the front of the train. (JFK Airtrain being the only exception that I know of) The job titles vary. Why would an engineer (who worked so hard to get there) want to go into a different class of railroad employment that may not pay as well as the engineer's job? Or am I mistaken about that?
  by SwingMan

There's little upside to the task of engineer on the LIRR anymore. From the belittling of the craft in recent years, the strange fascination of people with limited to no experience behind the throttle to create a system that takes any human element away from people that take pride in being able to operate a train safely and efficiently, and high amounts of scrutiny from managers to commuters about this and that.
  by krispy

As long as there is "youths" eager to lay out anything and everything they can on the tracks, there will always be an engineer. Everything else here is simply pot-stirring, craft-bashing and general emitting into the the wind. Goes to refill his popcorn...
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

nyandw wrote:The thread is: New equipment technology.. What am I missing?
Robo-conductors?

by Datenail

The company desire is to reduce the training necessary for the engineer job. We are critically short every summer and its becoming an operational problem. We hire a class of 10 or 12, wait over a year to be trained and end up with 6. If PTC performs as hoped for, the company can resubmit its training program for consideration by the FRA based on new realities. It wont happen tomorrow but in 10yrs, yes.
  by 452 Card

Sooo...
If someone with mental issues jumps in front of a train, or a careless person blows a crossing and gets in the way, will this "new technology" bring the train to a safe stop and report the situation to the movement bureau? Or, will 204 also be eliminated as "unnecessary" to everyday operations also as a result to "streamline" operating costs to keep the budget within guidelines while the entire system spirals into further disregard for sane operations under human control? Oh no, we can't have that! People making field decisions on their own? Heaven forbid! Jeez, how did we get here over the last 171 years using "antiquated" train orders, A, K, C and S Cards, the attached manual block rules and special instructions and other gained experience that makes the LIRR unique? Well, the answer is to dumb it down even further like MNCR into a "Go-No Go" system controlled by electronics that serve well when they are working as intended! Oh well...... I guess the next posts will be how manual block territory is "archaic, past its time, and needs to be replaced" by PTC and its wonderful salvation to operating trains butt-to-butt to save time and money. Time will tell in the future in regards to cost and human lives. Oh! Don't forget that we can't sound the horn during specific hours of the day so as not to bother someone living too close to the right of way. I guess that could be written into the software, too.
  by Datenail

Manual Block is gone in a year or two. 204 will always be there and a Conductor can make a call. What are you talking about? We're talking about reducing training for engineers. PTC is going to allow for a reduction in skill for an engineer the same way steam went to diesel and electric.
  by EM2000

452, read the previous posts in this thread. Don't get yourself worked up over this Datenail character, he's here to humor himself.
  by Datenail

You're absolutely correct em2000. An apprenticeship that lasted years to master a steam locomotive was not nearly as difficult operating an M7. This from the same guy who posted how a Stationmaster is not your boss and can only advise an engineer.
  by Engine 277

If a Stationmaster orders you to take a train out, or to the yard, and you refuse.. you are out of service. Period. That Goes for a Conductor or an Engineer. Lets stop the nonsense. Its called Insubordination. Its an offense you can be fired for. Thats How Ray Retired. He was ordered to make an extra round trip on thanksgiving and he refused. He was Threatened with insubordination, and said screw you I will retire, and threw his keys and punch on the desk, and walked out. By the time he got his trial papers he had already retired, and itwas too late for them to do anything to him. Trust me they tried. Ask nasty nick about Insubordination too... he no longer works there. How about The Guy In KO who refused instructions? He learned the hard way too. Re Read rule 800 or 801 about obeying instructions...its no joke.
  by LirrEngr

I have a hard time seeing how ptc is going to allow the carrier to revise (dumb down) the training program for those looking to qualify as engineer.
  by Slippy

It's funny how you mention Rule 801 and "Nasty Nick."

Roughly 7 to 8 years ago, Nasty Nick was out of service with "issues." He showed up to Speonk one day despite being withheld from service and reported to the conductor of a train. The conductor informed him that he was out of service and ordered him off the property. Nick refused, and even an appeal by a Superintendent, R.B., was not enough to get him off the property. The conductor ordered him off the train and off the property. He further reminded Nick of the authority vested in the conductor by Rule 801 and Nick's subordinate position in the crew, Nick coward in submission and alighted the engine. However, Nick refused to leave the property. The conductor contacted the MTAPD, whom immediately assembled a team that specialized in these types of incidents. The MTAPD arrived and on the conductors orders immediately arrested Nick and took him into custody. And on the conducts insistence, the RR fired Nick. He now is employed by Five Guys Burgers in Long Beach.

Funny you should mention R.D., lirr277. Another angry conductor.