• Joe Casey Retiring; Jeff Knuppel most likely successor

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by ekt8750

Joe Casey's retiring but it looks like SEPTA will still be in competent hands for more years to come as Jeff Knuppel is the leading candidate to replace him:

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... ement.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by zebrasepta

a bit off topic but was this quote from Matthew Mitchell recent? because I haven't seen him on the site for a long time
Matthew Mitchell, vice president of the Delaware Valley Association of Rail Passengers, praised Casey for bringing financial stability and improved customer service to SEPTA.

"The key to the whole of it has been the administrative and staffing decisions that he has made," Mitchell said. "He has not been a big noisy CEO, he has been a team leader."
Mitchell criticized "recent slippages" at SEPTA, citing declining on-time train performance and railcar shortages, as well as the long-delayed smart-card fare system.
I'm pretty sure SEPTA will improve with Jeff as the GM
  by trackwelder

ekt8750 wrote:Joe Casey's retiring but it looks like SEPTA will still be in competent hands for more years to come as Jeff Knuppel is the leading candidate to replace him:

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... ement.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
he wrote me and my partner up once for not wearing vests in the yard at elmwood depot
  by South Jersey Budd

I will give him credit for the financial condition of SEPTA, although Faye Moore already had things going in that direction for him. Operationally SEPTA is not doing well. Look at the RRD on time performance and equipment issues.

And Jeff K. is very good as an engineering boss but again the good ole boy network of promoting within will keep the operations in turmoil. We need an outsider who is a transportation professional who had had success somewhere else in the industry.
  by NorthPennLimited

No outsiders allowed Pony Boy! (A few of you may be too young to catch that reference)

You almost never see upper management jobs posted for SEPTA in any capacity. Only hourly union jobs and a few entry-level management jobs.

It's the same with a lot of transit agencies and quasi-governmental agencies. The only exception seems to be Amtrak.

Who knows, maybe Knuppel is the right man for the job. He seems very intelligent and knowledgable when he is interviewed on TV. He's not reading off note cards when he speaks on live TV. But it 's strange a major city like Philadelphia would appoint a structural engineer to captain it's transit agency.....but stranger things have happened. Look at the Port Authority and Turnpike Commission as a prime example over the years.
  by BPP1999

I read he lives in Perkasie. Hopefully that means he understands the struggle of a community that lost its passenger service.

Doesn't Joe Casey live near Wawa?
  by ekt8750

BPP1999 wrote:I read he lives in Perkasie. Hopefully that means he understands the struggle of a community that lost its passenger service.

The article mentioned he lives in Folsom which is in Ridley Twp.
  by silverlinerfan22

ekt8750 wrote:
BPP1999 wrote:I read he lives in Perkasie. Hopefully that means he understands the struggle of a community that lost its passenger service.

He takes the Lansdale train.
  by zebrasepta

silverlinerfan22 wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:

He takes the Lansdale train.
I thought Jeff Knuppel was the one who rides the Lansdale/Doylestown line
  by BPP1999

Correct, Perkasie I believe.

Casey lives in Folsom and takes the Elwyn Line. Maybe some day Knueppel will take the Perkasie Line.
  by trackwelder

trackwelder wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:Joe Casey's retiring but it looks like SEPTA will still be in competent hands for more years to come as Jeff Knuppel is the leading candidate to replace him:

he wrote me and my partner up once for not wearing vests in the yard at elmwood depot
little weird quoting myself, but despite my abpve post i'm glad to see someone from maintenance in the top slot versus the tyranny of bus drivers continuing. maybe MOW will finally get tools and equipment that aren't 30+ years out of date? or perhaps he'll see the value in some of the disused rail asstes? (AHEM 23,56, newtown, reading, west chester, octoraro, bethlehem)
  by R36 Combine Coach

Casey was promoted to General Manager when Faye L.M. Moore resigned on December 21, 2007 (see ERA Bulletin, February 2008, page 11). He came from Conrail in 1982.

Since Casey came from Conrail, is he of PC or RDG heritage?
  by MACTRAXX

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Since Casey came from Conrail, is he of PC or RDG heritage?
R36: This depends on his seniority/hire date - if it is before April 1, 1976 - the date Conrail began operation.
Before that date PC or RDG - afterwards Philadelphia (PC) or Reading Divisions - the contract operator for
SEPTA of the two separate Commuter Rail operating divisions which were unified by SEPTA (in case any
one does not know or is familiar with the rail lines that evolved into SEPTA Regional Rail we know today)

Joe Casey more then likely was a original management employee from day one of SEPTA's direct operation
of the Regional Rail system which began in January 1983. Conrail operated the system under contract for
six years and nine months (4/1/76 to 12/31/82) to be exact after Conrail took over the PC and RDG CR lines.

MACTRAXX
  by Suburban Station

BPP1999 wrote:Correct, Perkasie I believe.

Casey lives in Folsom and takes the Elwyn Line. Maybe some day Knueppel will take the Perkasie Line.
Preferably the quakertown line