• New Holoke, MA station

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by BenH

The new Depot Square Station in Holyoke, MA (Station code HLK) opens this week on Thursday, August 27th.

There is an official ribbon cutting ceremony at 12:30 PM at the station site. Details on this link:
http://www.holyoke.org/news/amtrak-ribb ... -ceremony/
http://www.holyokeredevelopment.com/passenger-rail

The first scheduled Amtrak departures out of Holyoke will be:
SB Train 55 at 1:45 pm
NB train 56 at 3:49 pm

The SB train (55) has been running 18 minutes late (on average) out of Northampton in August so its doubtful that this train will be on-time on Thursday, but I guess miracles can happen.
The NB train usually arrives in Northampton about 10 minutes early so if it departs Springfield on-time it will surely be early into Holyoke.

Two questions:
Is this the first scheduled Amtrak service to call on Holyoke?
When did the B&M end passenger service to/from Holyoke?
Last edited by BenH on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
  by whatelyrailfan

BenH wrote:The new Depot Square Station in Holyoke, MA (Station code HLK) opens this week on Thursday, August 27th.

There is an official ribbon cutting ceremony at 12:30 PM at the station site. Details on this link:
http://www.holyoke.org/news/amtrak-ribb ... -ceremony/

The first scheduled Amtrak departures out of Holyoke will be:
SB Train 55 at 1:45 pm
NB train 56 at 3:49 pm

The SB train has been running about 15 mins late out of Northampton in August so its doubtful that this train will be on-time on Thursday, but I guess miracles can happen.
The NB train usually arrives in Northampton about 10 minutes early so if it departs Springfield on-time it will surely be early into Holyoke.

Two questions:
Is this the first scheduled Amtrak service to call on Holyoke?
When did B&M end passenger service to/from Holyoke?
The B&M ceased passenger service to Holyoke in 1966. Amtrak was formed in 1971 and has never made a scheduled stop in Holyoke. And I also wonder if the train will be on time, as it usually goes past my condo between 1:50-2:10pm, and things haven't improved yet. Either way, I've got my round trip ticket to Springfield and back, the first person in Holyoke to purchase a train ticket since 1966! I wonder if the ribbon-cutting ceremony is so much earlier so that if the train is late it won't reflect poorly on our brave young mayor.
Peace,
Jonathan