• NS H-02 - sightings and reports

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by blocksignal

Joseph DeLuisi wrote:What activity has there been on the Totowa Industrial Track lately and what shippers does it serve?
The one regular customer ( I believe they are still a regular customer) is Royal Distributors located at 50 Maltese Drive which is the original facility as they now have a second facility located at 20 West End Drive in Totowa, NJ. The first Facility receives covered hoppers filled with corn starch if I am not mistaken. I think the second one gets box cars but I am not 100% certain of that. Perhaps someone else can clarify or confirm that. There is or was a second customer - some Trucking Logistics company located in the former R.A.C.E. plastics facility a little further down the line to the East of Royal on Vreeland Avenue. They have been getting boxcars filled with bags of sugar (I believe) originating from the FerroMex rail line way down around the Texas US/Mexico border area? I myself am trying to find out the days and times of the NS H02 local that services that line. Hope this info helps.

Blocksignal.
  by blocksignal

Yesterday a little before 11:30 AM H02 (with 3010 as the power pulling a box car and 3 covered hoppers) rolled into Totawa to drill the Royal Group customer. They finished up and returned to Mt. View a little after 1 PM pulling 4 covered hoppers and 3 box cars. They left 3 of the 4 covered hoppers and the 3 box cars on the Totowa Main just before the old Erie Greenwood Lake Branch Inter-Connect. They headed back West with just the Engine and 1 covered hopper.

Blocksignal.
  by Joseph DeLuisi

It's good to hear that this branch has some activity on it.
  by SemperFidelis

I have heard third hand (and quite frankly rather hard to beleive) rumors of Waste Management considering using a vacant building in the area of thier waste transfer (garbage truck to OTR truck) facility to load rail containers for outbound shipment to Ohio somewhere along the branch. Like i said, i found it a little hard to beleive, though I would love to see it.

BTW- this info is rather dated.
  by ccutler

It could potentially be trash trucked from the Bronx/NYC on Route 80, then transferred to containers for trains. There are already trash containers loaded in the Bronx and trucked to Kearny to be loaded onto trains [I believe...the blue trash containers].

It would be interesting to see but I agree it seems unlikely to position such an operation on a secondary route. that trash needs to keep moving, and not get parked next to a school or residential area.
  by Joseph DeLuisi

CSX has been running solid waste trains up in the Hunts Point section of the Bronx for quite some time now. In south Kearny a company called New Jersey Rail Carriers seems to be doing solid waste trains too. Both of these are in heavy industrial areas, far away from any homes or schools. So I doubt they would even think of doing anything like that in suburban Totowa.
  by riffian

any changes in operations/customers?
  by NYS&W142Fan

On Tuesday I saw the H-65 taking several spine cars loaded with bundles of new wood ties to Washington. I'm assuming they interchanged them with the H-02. Anyone have any idea who they were for??
  by gravelyfan

H-02 spent the night in Denville. 3010 and 8 cars. Photo from early Wednesday morning.
04152015 H02 Denville Reduced Copy.jpg
  by badorder

Those centerbeam flats of ties are going to the NJT material yard in Port Morris,I think the H-02 has dropped off about 6 cars so far.Speaking of ties...NS is doing tie work on the Totowa Industrial Track near the Mt. View Station.Colgate in Morris Township is being serviced about every two weeks, and their plant closing is mid-2017......BASF in Washington,N.J. plant closing is suppose to be June,2015...rumor has it that the H-65 ( that moves cars from Allentown for the H-02
and services BASF) will be gone, the H-74 will still come out to Washington on Sundays to drop off the Dover cars and the H-02 will make a round trip on Wednesdays from Dover to Allentown to get his cars and service Captive Plastics near
P'Burg.
  by gravelyfan

H-02 east onto Montclair/Boonton Line at Denville 9:45 with 12 cars
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

badorder wrote:Those centerbeam flats of ties are going to the NJT material yard in Port Morris,I think the H-02 has dropped off about 6 cars so far.Speaking of ties...NS is doing tie work on the Totowa Industrial Track near the Mt. View Station.Colgate in Morris Township is being serviced about every two weeks, and their plant closing is mid-2017......BASF in Washington,N.J. plant closing is suppose to be June,2015...rumor has it that the H-65 ( that moves cars from Allentown for the H-02
and services BASF) will be gone, the H-74 will still come out to Washington on Sundays to drop off the Dover cars and the H-02 will make a round trip on Wednesdays from Dover to Allentown to get his cars and service Captive Plastics near
P'Burg.
I think BASF is still open. The Berry Plastics switch can only be served by westbounds unless train was push-pull,like the Manville job.
  by gravelyfan

3010 + 13 cars west off the Montclair Line through Denville at 6pm tonight - pretty late for them to be out.