• Southern Tier Flooding

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

Seeing reports of a heavy rain event causing flooding in Watkins Glen, Newfield, Danby, Schuyler County has declared a state of emergency, route 13 closed, reports of Route 14 flooded in and below Watkins Glen. Nothing major but some small washouts of roads and culverts. A foot or so of water on roads in downtown Watkins Glen. Mudslide in Cohocton, also.

Guessing there's a good chance for damage to NS and Finger Lakes lines in the area, particularly any known trouble spots. If anyone hears of anything, let us know.

I see lots of water in Newark Valley, too, just what Owego & Hartford needs, seems like they lost an engine to flooding not too many years ago.
  by poppyl

Looks like the NS Ithaca Secondary has a major washout in the Newfield area. Haven't heard anything on any damage to the Corning Secondary. Can't verify at the moment, but wouldn't surprise me if there was some damage to the FGLK ROW south of US Salt in the Watkins Glen area.

Poppyl
  by Matt Langworthy

I have seen a photo of a washout on FGLK in Reading (just north of Watkins Glen) on Facebook. A trustworthy source has informed me there are a couple other washouts on the Watkins Glen Division, as well.

Also, NS has dispatched ballast train 925 out of Harrisburg as part of the repair effort for their line in Newfield.
  by scottychaos

lvrr325 wrote: I see lots of water in Newark Valley, too, just what Owego & Hartford needs, seems like they lost an engine to flooding not too many years ago.
OHRY 2211, a U23B, had her trucks submerged in the big 2011 flood, but it didnt kill her...she is still running today.

at 0:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfuUhe2zhKo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
  by lvrr325

I'll have to check with my source on just what unit was so badly damaged it wasn't fixable.
  by scottychaos

I thought the 2211 was the only one flooded..but perhaps not.
they also have U23B 2302, also still operating.
and two switchers, number 40 and number 1216.
I dont think 40 has run for years, even before the flood.

Scot
  by Matt Langworthy

NS 925 made its way to Sayre. Power for the ballast train includes 2 SD90MACs- one ex-UP and one current UP unit. The ballast is being trucked to the washout in Newfield.