• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by roberttosh

I'm pretty certain that the difference between Global in Revere and the G&U operation is preemption. The G&U (i.e. the railroad) is operating the facility in Grafton whereas Global (the energy company) operates the facility in Revere. I don't believe it has anything to do with Global's "mixing" operation. In both cases it's product going from rail car, to storage tanks to trucks. If the G&U wasn't running the whole operation the proposal would have been shot down long ago....
  by daylight4449

Ridgefielder wrote:
BandA wrote:Yeah, definitely slap weight restrictions on the bridges ASAP to prevent those rusty old tanks from arriving. If I lived there I'd be whining too, but not enough to hire lawyers. I'd ask for a tall berm or wall as a blast barrier. The increased tax value will allow road repairs or other municipal services, and those 1000's of trucks will have shorter trips. Thousands of trucks per day? Sounds like exaggeration.
Odd that the Selectmen don't seem concerned about the 1,000's of a trucks per day-- many no doubt carrying hazmats of various kinds-- that traverse their town on Interstate 90.
What about all those heating oil trucks from Al's, CK, Pioneer and the like? Or those propane trucks that Osterman's runs through the center of town? Those are all hazardous and flammable. Oh, wait... You're telling me that one of those pesky selectman happens to abut the railyard over on Waterville Street? And that once he got elected all of this started happening? Mighty coincidental.

...Now, to get serious. I get why people are worried, but what I can't stand is a fear-mongering politician. Ever since the last election, all they've done is instill the fear of the whole town being annihilated among those in Grafton who bother to pay attention. These nudnicks were elected to lead, not cause a panic. Sadly, the lot of them seem to have gotten that mixed up.
  by MaineCoonCat

On 27 May 2015 at 19:15 I wrote:Figured I'd toss this out for discussion..
The tanks are currently sitting on the side of Birch Street in Fall River... Can anybody think of a cost effective way of bringing them to Grafton quietly by rail and avoid the world class Circus that's gonna' happen if they bring them in by truck? Is there one? Thoughts?
In light of the crane now being on-site in North Grafton, anyone in the Fall River area that would be willing to buzz by Birch Street and see if anything's been going on with the tanks?
crane north grafton yard.jpg
Image above is from the Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's facebook page "North Grafton Yard" Album.
  by MaineCoonCat

papabarn wrote:The Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's facebook page reports that the U.S. Ju7stice Department has filed it's brief in defense of the STB in the Upton case. Click the image to view..

by Cosmo

I read just enough of the above to see that the Feds are tearing a locomotive sized hole in the petitioner's briefs. :P
Don't these guys GET IT? You can't present something "half-butted" in a Federal court and expect to WIN.
  by tonyschul

Drove by the N. Grafton yard this morning. Compared to last Friday, the yard was empty. Almost all of the cars in the yard have been moved up to the new yard in Center Grafton (drove by there too), or dispersed along the line.

Last Friday, the N. Grafton yard was packed full on all leads. Today, only a couple of cars remain, ballast hoppers and the Wheatabix box cars.

No sign of the LPG tanks, but the large crane is waiting patiently next to the location where the last LPG tank could go. It seems that they could unloaded the empty LPG tanks from either a road trailer or a flat car parked on one of the LPG leads.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

tonyschul wrote:Drove by the N. Grafton yard this morning. Compared to last Friday, the yard was empty. Almost all of the cars in the yard have been moved up to the new yard in Center Grafton (drove by there too), or dispersed along the line.

Last Friday, the N. Grafton yard was packed full on all leads. Today, only a couple of cars remain, ballast hoppers and the Wheatabix box cars.

No sign of the LPG tanks, but the large crane is waiting patiently next to the location where the last LPG tank could go. It seems that they could unloaded the empty LPG tanks from either a road trailer or a flat car parked on one of the LPG leads.
The T's been doing some rail destressing work on the outer Worcester Line the last couple weeks. If they were planning to take the tanks by truck to Port of Fall River to load onto Mass Coastal flats, then hand off to CSX to take to N. Grafton, that may explain why they haven't done it yet. Commuter rail slots are a little compromised while they wrap up this mini-project this month, and delivery to G&U isn't nearly urgent enough that they can't wait a few weeks for the track gangs to finish their daytime work.
  by Cosmo

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
tonyschul wrote:Drove by the N. Grafton yard this morning. Compared to last Friday, the yard was empty. Almost all of the cars in the yard have been moved up to the new yard in Center Grafton (drove by there too), or dispersed along the line.

The T's been doing some rail destressing work on the outer Worcester Line the last couple weeks. If they were planning to take the tanks by truck to Port of Fall River to load onto Mass Coastal flats, then hand off to CSX to take to N. Grafton, that may explain why they haven't done it yet. Commuter rail slots are a little compromised while they wrap up this mini-project this month, and delivery to G&U isn't nearly urgent enough that they can't wait a few weeks for the track gangs to finish their daytime work.
Yeah, but crane work is usually time-sensitive. It's costing G&U just to have the crane sitting on-property.
  by MaineCoonCat

On 11 June 2015, I wrote:
papabarn wrote:
On 27 May 2015 at 19:15 I wrote:Figured I'd toss this out for discussion..
The tanks are currently sitting on the side of Birch Street in Fall River... Can anybody think of a cost effective way of bringing them to Grafton quietly by rail and avoid the world class Circus that's gonna' happen if they bring them in by truck? Is there one? Thoughts?
In light of the crane now being on-site in North Grafton, anyone in the Fall River area that would be willing to buzz by Birch Street and see if anything's been going on with the tanks?
Image above is from the Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's facebook page "North Grafton Yard" Album.
The "Tank Watch" continues....

warn bar red.gif
warn bar red.gif
warn bar red.gif
warn bar red.gif
The Friends of The Grafton and Upton Railroad's facebook page reports that the GURR will be moving two tanks from Hopedale to Grafton SUNDAY afternoon/evening!!!!
Last edited by MaineCoonCat on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
  by tonyschul

If they did come by rail, would they first show up in Framingham? Westboro? Someplace else?
  by boatsmate

Depends, most likely would be an OD train so would go direct to the G&U from the secondary...
  by MaineCoonCat

Please see correction above.. Sorry!! Sunday afternoon/evening Please stand by. I'm trying to get a clarification on the Fall River move..
  by Sir Ray

I was going to state "somebody ask what Ken Patrick thinks about this" (if those tanks go operational, this will be his second "fail", his first was in asserting the wood pellet trans-loading was illegal)
Then I found his profile seems to be disabled. Was he banned, or did he somehow find a way to resign from this board?
  by Safetee

sounds to me like the tanks are going by truck from fall river to hopedale and then being loaded on flat cars there for the move into the Gas Yard in Grafton.