• GE Center Cab at Alexandria yard

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by mtuandrew

What can any of you tell me about the GE center cab locomotive stationed at Alexandria Yard? I can't get a good look at it, but would love to know what it's doing there, if there's anything special about it (3rd rail capability?) and if Metrorail uses the beast for anything.
  by Sand Box John

"mtuandrew"
What can any of you tell me about the GE center cab locomotive stationed at Alexandria Yard? I can't get a good look at it, but would love to know what it's doing there, if there's anything special about it (3rd rail capability?) and if Metrorail uses the beast for anything.

If it white with blue trim it is one of the locomotives WMATA procured back in the 1970s that was totally overhauled in house by WMATA. 2 of the other locomotives were sold for scrap.
  by Sand Box John

"mtuandrew"
It is white with blue stripes, yes. Does WMATA still use it?

Yes, as it was rebuilt within the last couple of years.

Found an image of it:

Here it is next to the feeler car before it was rebuilt:

What I don't understand is why WMATA did'nt rebuild the others instead of procuring their "prime movers" diesel powered flatcars.