• All Things WMATA 7000 Series

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by afiggatt

There is now an announced date for the second Series 7000 set entering service: 7 AM, June 8 at Shady Grove. Wash Post: Metro’s next new ‘7K’ train set to debut on Red Line. Almost 2 months after the first set entered service, so WMATA is still ramping up on testing and deployment into service.

Excerpt:
Now Metro’s second new, eight-car “7K” train is set to begin carrying passengers. And until further notice, it will be dedicated to riders traveling between Montgomery County and the District on the Red Line, the subway’s oldest, most trouble-plagued route.

Commuters will be able to board the new train for its inaugural trip at 7 a.m. on June 8 at the Shady Grove station, interim General Manager Jack Requa told the agency’s board of directors Thursday. “Just as Metro’s first 7000-series train remains in service on the Blue Line, this train will remain on the Red Line in coming months,” Requa said, without being more specific.
Any updates or insight as to when the Greenbelt to College Park test track will be completed and put into service to assist the checkout and test process for the 7K cars?
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
Could WMATA pull them off WMATA trackage onto some unused railroad siding they rent? There seem to be lots of unused spurs around the country...

Sure, the biggest issue would be security though. But why?

The propaganda coming out of WMATA that storage capacity is limited is just that, propaganda. Some years ago I did a storage capacity inventory. The figures I came up with were vastly greater then what WMATA is claiming. WMATA did'nt count the roughly 1 to 1 1/2 dozen spots on the tracks outside of the shop buildings in almost ever yard, they did'nt count the tail tracks at Huntington, Springfield - Franconia, Vienna and New Carrollton. The number I came up with was over 1,300, Add Dulles Yard and the tail track beyond Ashburn and the number jumps to more then 1,500. That's enough capacity to store all of the cars they have now plus the 7k cars without disposing of any of the remaining 1k cars.

"afiggatt"
Any updates or insight as to when the Greenbelt to College Park test track will be completed and put into service to assist the checkout and test process for the 7K cars?

My best guess is sometime this summer. As noted in my post yesterday morning, "All of the ties for the test track staged in the south kiss and ride lot are gone".
  by djlong

Ok, I have pictures of the 7000-series train that I saw at Greenbelt after the Nationals/Yankees game last week. The following link SHOULD work:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... lder%2cJPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This SHOULD direct you to a folder I have setup in OneDrive.

Let me know if there are any problems.
  by Sand Box John

"djlong"
Ok, I have pictures of the 7000-series train that I saw at Greenbelt after the Nationals/Yankees game last week. The following link SHOULD work:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... lder%2cJPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This SHOULD direct you to a folder I have setup in OneDrive.

Let me know if there are any problems.

Could barely make out the car number in the last picture, looks like 7012 or 7022. both of those cars are known to be on the property.
  by djlong

I wasn't thinking of making sure to get the car number - but my memory wants to say it's 7012. I was trying to be discreet (i.e. no flash and try not to be too obvious about taking pictures) as I was afraid that someone on the train (or security, if any, outside the train) might get irritated at me taking pictures of test equipment. I mean, they don't even want you eating or drinking on the Metro! :)
  by justalurker66

djlong wrote:I wasn't thinking of making sure to get the car number - but my memory wants to say it's 7012. I was trying to be discreet (i.e. no flash and try not to be too obvious about taking pictures) as I was afraid that someone on the train (or security, if any, outside the train) might get irritated at me taking pictures of test equipment. I mean, they don't even want you eating or drinking on the Metro! :)
You're not peeking over the fence at a major automaker's proving grounds. Photography is not a crime.
  by Sand Box John

"djlong"
I wasn't thinking of making sure to get the car number - but my memory wants to say it's 7012. I was trying to be discreet (i.e. no flash and try not to be too obvious about taking pictures) as I was afraid that someone on the train (or security, if any, outside the train) might get irritated at me taking pictures of test equipment. I mean, they don't even want you eating or drinking on the Metro!

No need to be discreet. Unlike other transit agencies there is no restriction on casual photography on Metrorail.

Here is where said car was on 05 28 2015 at 1958 EDT.

7012-7013+7015-7014 Greenbelt Yard track 17.

All of my pictures are hosted at picasaweb.google.com/johncambron.
  by smallfire85

The Blue 7K's first morning trip leaves Franconia-Springfield not too long after 7am, it is either the first or second interval out after 7am. The second inbound trip usually departs Van Dorn St around 9:15am, I usually see it pass Alexandria Yard around 9:20am. I also usually see it at King Street-Old Town outbound after 4:20. From what I heard about the consist on the Red line, the first trip should leave Shady Grove around 8am.

I saw the 7000-7007 set at King St today, and it was very interesting to note that the consist was arranged with the typical 4-car arrangement in the center; A-B-A-B-B-A-B-A. Also, the operator was having a difficult time opening the doors. Eventually car maintenance staff arrived and opened the doors from the 2-6 position, the next cab back. It was nice to see some NYC style 'conducting' in DC!
  by Sand Box John

"Deval"
Does anybody have a timetable for the 7000 series on the blue or red lines?

My understanding is the Blue line train makes 2 1/2 eastbound trips during AM peak beginning at Franconia-Springfield, lays over at Largo during mid day, then makes 2 1/2 trips during PM peak, then lays up in Alexandra yard for the night. The 5 daily round trips gives Virginia passages 3 opportunities eastbound in the morning and 3 opportunities westbound in the afternoon.

Check the trip planer based on the normal daily departure from Franconia-Springfield shortly after 7:00 AM

Me thinks WMATA will do the same when the second 7k train makes it debut on the Red line on June 8.

EDIT Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:59 pm

Those that have not had the opportunity to see the 7k because time of day they are on the railroad might consider looking for them on Independence Day. As most here know WMATA throws everything at the railroad on the 4th of July. I am considering coming over the bridge on Independence Day to see if I can find one of the 7k trains.
  by smallfire85

If the signage system is anything like NYC's R160 cars, which the 7K's definitely resemble, then glitches like this don't seem too out of the ordinary. I've ridden a number of R160s long after their delivery that would occasionally have this problem. I am not too sure what can be done beside recycling the system.

Picture of the R160 FIND system: http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fil ... stem_2.jpg

I reread my previous post, and should note that the 7K set starting on the red line on June 8 is scheduled to depart Shady Grove around 7 a.m., not 8 a.m. like I posted.
  by tommyboy6181

smallfire85 wrote:If the signage system is anything like NYC's R160 cars, which the 7K's definitely resemble, then glitches like this don't seem too out of the ordinary. I've ridden a number of R160s long after their delivery that would occasionally have this problem. I am not too sure what can be done beside recycling the system.

Picture of the R160 FIND system: http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fil ... stem_2.jpg

I reread my previous post, and should note that the 7K set starting on the red line on June 8 is scheduled to depart Shady Grove around 7 a.m., not 8 a.m. like I posted.
From nycsubway.org, it lists that the interior signage on the R160 cars is from Alstom (Telecite). The 7k uses interior/exterior signage and communications systems from Toshiba.
  by YOLO

Metro has received approval to scrap the 5000 series. Once they secure funding for the additional 220 cars and receive them, 5Ks will be scheduled to be scrapped.

It comes with a catch - they have to pay the federal government interest on money they owe. Essentially a $50M "fine" for being able to get more 7000 series car.

The 7000 series will eliminate the 1000, 4000, and the 5000 series ... we're going to see a lot of old trains disappear in the coming years.

I wonder if they can keep a few 5000 series around to replace the 8000 series money cars ... or is it even worth it? Will they get renumbered once they start the process on getting actual 8000 series trains?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tra ... ml?hpid=z2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;