• Official T OPTO Discussion(One Man Subway Ops) Rapid Transit

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by octr202

It really does seem like they've consolidated the platform attendants to fewer stations now. And when I've seen them helping direct lost passengers between trains, it does seem to have some benefit there.

One thought about getting doors closed on full trains - with new equipment, a great idea might be for the operator to be able to control the doors on individual cars or married pairs independently. I.e., at a station like Harvard inbound they could close up the back of the train (using the CCTV monitors) separately, then be able to deal with just the first couple cars. I wonder if something like that would be possible with the technology onboard new heavy rail cars.
  by Disney Guy

"The poor platform person (you know, the guy who jumps up and down...)"

Nothing wrong with the platform person standing out of the way of people getting off even if he stands behind a column or stands some distance away from the train.

The platform person can move back into position when people waiting on the platform start to get on.
  by CRail

And what he meant was, staying out of the way of the people getting off.

You know, door guards never constricted the flow of passenger traffic. Yet another advantage to having a second person on a 450 foot long train.
  by Gerry6309

CRail wrote:And what he meant was, staying out of the way of the people getting off.

You know, door guards never constricted the flow of passenger traffic. Yet another advantage to having a second person on a 450 foot long train.
The Red Line cars measure 69' 3" to 69' 6", thus a 6 car train is about 417 feet. A 450' train would exceed most platforms.

That being said, it is not easy to close 18 or 24 doors at once on a crowded platform, and all it takes to slow things down is ONE inconsiderate person.
  by Head-end View

I just spent a few days riding the T, as I do once every few years. On a Red Line train going to Braintree I was surprised at a couple of stations in Quincy. The train-operator actually left the cab, walked out onto the island platform, visually scanned the length of the train, then re-entered the cab, looked out the window down the platform again, then closed the doors. And (LOL) he also noted me watching thru the left side railfan window as I was lucky enough to get an odd-numbered car leading to Braintree, contrary to common Red-Line practice nowadays on the 1800-series trains.

Unlike back in December 2012 when I last rode in Boston, I see most Cambridge-bound Red-LIne trains lead with an odd-numbered car, and often have an even-numbered car leading on the Braintree end. Back in 2012 most 1800-series trains in both directions led with an even-numbered car ruining the view.
  by Finch

Head-end View wrote:I just spent a few days riding the T, as I do once every few years. On a Red Line train going to Braintree I was surprised at a couple of stations in Quincy. The train-operator actually left the cab, walked out onto the island platform, visually scanned the length of the train, then re-entered the cab, looked out the window down the platform again, then closed the doors. And (LOL) he also noted me watching thru the left side railfan window as I was lucky enough to get an odd-numbered car leading to Braintree, contrary to common Red-Line practice nowadays on the 1800-series trains.

Unlike back in December 2012 when I last rode in Boston, I see most Cambridge-bound Red-LIne trains lead with an odd-numbered car, and often have an even-numbered car leading on the Braintree end. Back in 2012 most 1800-series trains in both directions led with an even-numbered car ruining the view.
I would be very surprised if the even- or oddness of the lead car was anything other than a complete coincidence. But I guess I haven't studied the phenomenon.
  by Head-end View

Well yes Diburning, that's how it was last time I visited Boston back in 2012 and I think that was the intent. My guess is that it became too much of a hassle for them to keep arranging the cars that way when assembling trains in the yard, so nowadays they just leave most of them with the odd-numbered car facing Alewife and the even-numbered cars facing Braintree. If anyone knows different for sure, please correct me.
  by Gerry6309

Head-end View wrote:Well yes Diburning, that's how it was last time I visited Boston back in 2012 and I think that was the intent. My guess is that it became too much of a hassle for them to keep arranging the cars that way when assembling trains in the yard, so nowadays they just leave most of them with the odd-numbered car facing Alewife and the even-numbered cars facing Braintree. If anyone knows different for sure, please correct me.
Remember, trains can only be looped at Codman or Cabot. and is is extra hassle to loop pairs individually. Only Blue Line trains loop in regular service.