• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BR&P

lvrr325 wrote:I don't think any engines are assigned to any specific place, they get rotated around as they come due for inspections and so forth, but the six axle units have a few places they can't go as previously noted.
Exactly.

Until the 6-axles came along, it's probably safe to say every engine on the roster worked every job at one time or another. Possible exception might be not all GE's went inside the Seneca Army Base, but close to it if not. Regulations require a fairly involved inspection every 92 days, plus things can go wrong in between those inspections requiring some time in the shop. Sometimes the mechanical forces get ahead of the curve, other times it's a scramble to get enough power for a given day's needs. Murphy's Law seems to dictate that breakdowns don't happen one at a time, they come in bunches at the worst possible time.
  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:I don't think any engines are assigned to any specific place, they get rotated around as they come due for inspections and so forth, but the six axle units have a few places they can't go as previously noted.
for as long as I remember 1701 was the main unit assigned to Auburn until 2306 arrived on the FGLK Roster it dose rotate out for servicing. for a while 1701 rotated out with 1751 on and off. Other units that have worked Auburn in the past were 1703, 1751, 1801, 1943, 1989, 2201, 2304, 2305, 2308, 2309, and 2310. B&P 206, 207, 209, 876, 922, and 926. A BDLX GP40 also worked the area for a summer I have a lot of video footage of them over the years on VHS-C Tapes. All of the B&P Units worked between 1995-1998 and were mostly off of the FGLK by the time the first 3 Ex CR B23-7's arrived.
  by lvrr325

Yes, one of the engineers who runs there prefers that unit for whatever reasons.
  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:Yes, one of the engineers who runs there prefers that unit for whatever reasons.
Dave B. works the Auburn Job he's been working that ever scents they assigned a unit to work only in Auburn.
  by sd80mac

Otto! we are almost into June and it's still showing thread of discussion of 2014 Did your clock quit and stop working couple minutes before midnight on NYE?? :P :P :-D :-D
  by Otto Vondrak

sd80mac wrote:Otto! we are almost into June and it's still showing thread of discussion of 2014 Did your clock quit and stop working couple minutes before midnight on NYE?? :P :P :-D :-D
I took the year off the title of this thread. Enjoy!

-otto-
  by scharnhorst

I think the best way to keep track of what is going on with Finger Lakes is to follow the Cayuga Valley Model Railroad site on Facebook. thought I would share it as random photos do get posted showing the new main line track alignment and switches that are going in on the North side of Auburn. https://www.facebook.com/CayugaValleyMo ... rs?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by frr1802

Finger Lakes dump them on the ground again east of Seneca Falls? Is this near the bridge? Wide Gauge, I hear?
  by frr1802

I'll try and find out some more...I would have thought the FGLK hogs would have been all over it by now...
  by scharnhorst

there are no news reports to be found on line of any derailments and not a single person that I know has told me of such an accident happening.
  by terms-d

scharnhorst wrote:there are no news reports to be found on line of any derailments and not a single person that I know has told me of such an accident happening.
I can at least confirm that it did happen. Westbound GS2 just east of the Seneca Falls industrial park. Can probably see the scene from the side of 5&20.
  by jaash5

Hi everyone,

Looking for information in a general schedule for activity on the railroad? What operates on the weekend? I've always wanted to head down to Himrod area and didnt know if anything was on the line on the weekends? Any chance of any NS activity on the corning line as well?

Been a long time since I've spent time in CNY railfanning.
  by AB2XM

Hey all. Today (9/24/15) I saw FGLK in Seneca Falls pulling their passenger consist west bound. Any ideas, or did I miss a posted trip? On another note, I see on their website that they are still planning on running north from Geneva. Any news on that?

Thanks,

Chuck