• Shenandoah Valley line

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by mmi16

How much traffic does NS move on their Shenandoah Valley line from Hagerstown, MD south through Charles Town, WV and continuing south.

I have been racing at Summit Point Raceway for over twenty years and cross this line both going to and coming from the track. I have never seen a train. Track appears well maintained to Main Line standards.
  by poppyl

My information is a bit out of date but traffic levels last year ranged between six and eight trains daily. The line is part of the Crescent Corridor and has seen extensive upgrades recently and traffic has been increasing accordingly. Large portions of the line are scheduled to be doubled tracked in the future. A fair amount of the traffic occurs in the overnight hours.

Poppyl
  by NS212

North of Riverton Junction, you can expect to see 20+ a day, including multiple extras. From Shenandoah-Riverton Jct traffic is lighter but you can expect to see a train at just about any time of day. Here's the current list of what you could expect to see.

Manifest:
15T, 16T, 35Q, 36Q, 37Q, 38Q, 12R, 13R

Intermodal:
201, 202, 203, 204, 211, 212, 213, 214, 227, 228, 290, 24Q (Monday only, baretables)

Plus local V86 which is a Shenandoah-Hagerstown turn job and multiple extras can be seen any day. Empty hoppers northbound run as 747 and 777 almost every day. Loaded grain trains southbound typically run as 44T, 40T, etc. Northbound empty grain is almost always 51V. From Shenandoah-Riverton Junction, traffic is lighter with 201, 202, 15T, 16T, 37Q, 38Q, V86, and V88 (Front Royal turn) being the regularly scheduled trains, along with grain and hopper trains. The rest of the traffic runs the B-Line to and from Manassas.