• Oil trains parked in Teaneck on River sub

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by CPSK

Today there were (or still are) two southbound oil trains standing on the middle siding in Teaneck (between CP7 and CP10). I was listening to the radio activity this morning when they arrived, one behind the other. Crew was told to tie the train down, as dispatcher did not think they would be going anywhere before crew expiration at 13:00.
When I walked over the Cedar Lane bridge at around 14:00, there were two trains on the middle siding. I could not see the head end of the first train, but the BNSF locos of the 2nd train were stopped behind the 1st train, near the Grayson Place bridge. It was oil tankers as far as the eye could see.

I have been listening to the radio pretty much all day, and haven't heard anything about these trains moving out, but I could have missed the move.
That said, I can still hear two strong signals from EOT's on my radio (I am located just north of Cedar Lane and east of the tracks off Queen Anne rd). I suspect the oil trains are still there, but won't swear to that.
I am wondering what would keep the trains parked for so long. Is there trouble on the Trenton line, or at the refinery in Philly where I believe the oil is delivered?

CP
  by mmi16

Oil unloading facilities have their own set of problems that delay the prompt unloading of trains. When the unloading facility has problems the 'pipeline' of oil trains backs up.
  by ekt8750

Steve F45 wrote:the refineries are probably still full of cars being unloaded and nowhere to put a loaded train.
Yep. There's quite a few oil trains cued up outside both Eastside Yard and South Philly Yard waiting to be sorted out to the refinery customers that abut both of those yards as of yesterday.