• 2015 Commuter Rail Delay Discussion Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by chrisf

dbperry wrote:Some pax heard from conductors that 508 cancellation on Tuesday 4/14 was due to engineer not showing up. No idea if that is true or not.

Today, Wednesday 4/15, 508 died at Back Bay when the HEP shutdown. I wasn't on it - so not sure how long delay was. Did not find out what loco it had... was it 2008 - a new HSP? That would be unfortunate...these things happen, but a new loco...
The HSP46s are the only engines on the south side where HEP runs off the main diesel. Anything else would likely be able to continue to South Station without HEP, unless it ran out of fuel.
  by boblothrope

RRCOMM wrote:The 5:45 to Greenbush (please forgive me for not remembering train numbers) sat in the station until about 6:25 when people began abandoning it for the set on the next track. Rumour had spread that that was the 6:30 to Greenbush (when I say rumour I mean just that, NO announcements or other proclamations during the whole delay). Also No information on the "works when you don't need it" station sign system. (A scanner on the RR frequencies is a customer survival tool now).
Was the other train in fact the next train to Greenbush? Are saying that if passengers on the 5:45 hadn't figured it out themselves, the 6:38 would have departed and left them all behind, with no word from the crew? That's inexcusable.

Wouldn't the station signs have shown the standard information, including the track, for the 6:38?
  by RRCOMM

The signs inside South Station probably did show the 6:38 but it's hard to see when your sitting on a train.. Sorry for confusion, by sign system I mean at the outlying stations (where I was waiting for the nonexistent train not the Boston terminals). You know, the ones that say "Welcome to Commuter Rail" and tell you what station you are at, over and over........

If anyone is interested, that POS is a collaboration between "We bring good things to life and are the low bidder" GE and the MBTA proper.

Do I sound bitter? :wink:
  by Komarovsky

dbperry wrote:Some pax heard from conductors that 508 cancellation on Tuesday 4/14 was due to engineer not showing up. No idea if that is true or not.

Today, Wednesday 4/15, 508 died at Back Bay when the HEP shutdown. I wasn't on it - so not sure how long delay was. Did not find out what loco it had... was it 2008 - a new HSP? That would be unfortunate...these things happen, but a new loco...
2008 was indeed on 508 this morning. The HEP conked out at Yawkey but the train was able to get to Back Bay without issue(where I get off). Sounds more like some sort of electric problem than an issue with the prime mover.
  by dbperry

On Thursday 4/16/15, 506 did not have a conductor - our regular conductor was out sick. Not sure why the "extra board" didn't work, but instead of cancelling the train (as they did with 508 on Tuesday), the "house engineer" from Worcester was used as the conductor.

First time I have ever seen that. Kudos to Keolis for thinking outside the box. Posted my entire speculation about it here: http://dbperry.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave
  by emannths

Anyone know what happened to 510 this morning? T-Alert came through at 8:22 saying it had been cancelled, with no indication as to the reason. I assume 507 made it to Framingham and promptly died, given the timing of the alert...?
  by Diverging Route

Here's a new one!

Providence/Stoughton Line Train 816 (11:15 am from Providence) delayed today 10 to 20 minutes due to a late test train ahead

Affected direction: Inbound

Last updated: Apr 21 2015 12:17 PM
  by Screamer 1000

I read today in my local paper that tie replacement will be taking place on the Haverhill line for the next few months. All non-peak hour trains will be bussed between Reading and Haverhill. Lots of delays, but opportunities for me to see something pretty cool on my line
  by BostonUrbEx

Screamer 1000 wrote:I read today in my local paper that tie replacement will be taking place on the Haverhill line for the next few months. All non-peak hour trains will be bussed between Reading and Haverhill. Lots of delays, but opportunities for me to see something pretty cool on my line
If I understand correctly, there will be tie replacement projects on the Lowell Line, Haverhill Line, and Pan Am's Freight Main Line from Rigby to Willows. That's alot of ties in northeastern Mass.
  by Rbts Stn

Needham update via e-mail:

Due to ongoing Amtrak work to replace damaged signal system apparatus at Forest Hills, the following temporary schedule changes are necessary for the duration of this work. These changes will minimize the delays that passengers on the Needham Line have been experiencing:

Train 602 departs Needham Heights at 6:40am, 5 minutes earlier
Train 610 departs Needham Heights at 9:50am, 10 minutes later
Train 612 departs Needham Heights at 11:03am, 8 minutes later
Train 616 departs Needham Heights at 2:38pm, 12 minutes earlier
Train 618 departs Needham Heights at 3:44pm, 11 minutes earlier

Train 607 departs South Station at 7:28am, 11 minutes earlier
Train 609 departs South Station at 8:55am, 10 minutes later
Train 611 departs South Station at 10:10am, 10 minutes later
Train 615 departs South Station at 1:45pm, 10 minutes earlier
Train 617 departs South Station at 2:50pm, 10 minutes earlier
Train 619 departs South Station at 4:02pm, 2 minutes later

Amtrak estimates that the repairs will take approximately 3-6 months. Should that change, and for full schedules, visit http://www.mbta.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, check in via Social Media, or stop by and speak with personnel at South Station or Back Bay Station.
  by chrisf

Rbts Stn wrote: Due to ongoing Amtrak work to replace damaged signal system apparatus at Forest Hills, the following temporary schedule changes are necessary for the duration of this work. These changes will minimize the delays that passengers on the Needham Line have been experiencing
This is long overdue. How anyone thought that having to reverse peak trains is a good idea is beyond me.
  by dbperry

"Framingham Worcester 522 delayed 10-15 min due to track work" according to T-Alerts. Saw a large group of workers near CP 4 while riding 506 inbound today. Could be more work on double track through Allston?
  by Diverging Route

Providence/Stoughton Line Train 918 (5:00 pm from Stoughton) delayed today due to mechanical problem. This train will drop off passengers at Route 128 station to be picked up by train 822. then assist a disabled train.

Providence/Stoughton Line Train 919 (4:50 pm from South Station) delayed today. train is disabled at Hyde Park Station. will be assisted by having train 918 couple up and go to Stoughton. 45-60 min delay
  by Diverging Route

806 died at Mansfield. 808 pulled up, tied on, and pushed it. And to make things worse, 841/842 - the Mansfield short-turn, was cancelled due to a mx as well. Quite the mess on the NEC.

Providence/Stoughton Line Train 808 (6:37 am from Wickford Junction) will be operating 10 to 20 minutes late due to disabled train 806 ahead. 808 will assist the train
  by Frode

Train 808 was a hour late by the time it got to South Station. A February flashback.