• Finger Lakes Railway (FGLK) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

Since the connector was rebuilt, six axles into the Army Depot shouldn't be a problem. As I've told before, a set did make it in there in the Conrail era, somehow, the only issue then was getting up onto the old LV main.

The big power should be fine for road trains on most of the system, possibly excepting the Canandaigua side. It's the actual sidings that would become a problem. How'd you like to run one into Victor Insulator for a switch? The old LV segment in Auburn hasn't seen six axles since the LV ran PAs into town. Odds are there are going to be spots where the long rigid wheelbase will be a problem.
  by BR&P

I don't know what they did with the connector, but unless they tied what FGLK calls "4A" back into track 4 up in the yard, I don't think 6-axles would be good there no matter how many new ties. There is a very tight curve where the connector joins the LV. Not saying it could not be done but those long trucks tend to straighten out track that is too tight.

Once past that area, getting TO the base, no big problem. Once inside, forget the 6 axle power. Light rail, poor tie conditions, and some sharp curves. The EMD's were not terrible down there, the GE's were taking a chance. On a few occasions when it was announced that a GE was being sent, the remark was made "might as well start the block truck now, that way they'll be on hand when it happens." Anybody sending a 6-axle in there should be fired! :P
  by terms-d

scottychaos wrote:
terms-d wrote:
scottychaos wrote:which is funny, considering that 3303 was the "photoshop engine" that wasn't actually photoshopped! ;)
except no, not at all.
especially considering my post was the first and only time the photoshop engine has ever been mentioned in this thread! ;)
or on railroad.net at all..
so, nice try, but that would be a fail.

Scot
It got a little old after numerous people had to comment something to the effect of "LOL the photoshop engine!!" on every single photo of 3303, on several different Facebook groups, for weeks after the fact. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
  by terms-d

scottychaos wrote: well now we are talking about two different things! ;)
I never said 6-axle units can run literally everywhere on FGLK!
I only said they do fine across the entire mainline..which is true.
That would be false. They are prohibited via General Order on the Himrod Line main track outside of Himrod Yard Limits & the Canandaigua Line main track in its entirety.
BR&P wrote:I don't know what they did with the connector, but unless they tied what FGLK calls "4A" back into track 4 up in the yard, I don't think 6-axles would be good there no matter how many new ties. There is a very tight curve where the connector joins the LV. Not saying it could not be done but those long trucks tend to straighten out track that is too tight.
They can & do routinely park the six axle power on the Kendaia Lead with no ill effects discovered so far.
BR&P wrote:Once past that area, getting TO the base, no big problem. Once inside, forget the 6 axle power. Light rail, poor tie conditions, and some sharp curves. The EMD's were not terrible down there, the GE's were taking a chance. On a few occasions when it was announced that a GE was being sent, the remark was made "might as well start the block truck now, that way they'll be on hand when it happens." Anybody sending a 6-axle in there should be fired! :P
That's the truth...
  by BR&P

terms-d wrote:They can & do routinely park the six axle power on the Kendaia Lead with no ill effects discovered so far.
It's not that end of the connector I was concerned about - it's the far end where it rejoins the LV. Near the 4A switch.

Of course it all depends on the weather, too. On a nice warn sunny day, no problem. But if it's raining, or 10 below, or 2AM, or all of the above, watch out! :wink:
  by BR&P

Ya done good, Clif! Sometimes our own personal knowledge and judgement is a better source than what we are told by others - or what we read on the internet.
  by ScotCP356

Thanks for bashing me and insulting me over a photoshopped locomotive and over a engine that FGLK wont use much of. It's really pathetic that you all did that. I didn't know that the 3300 was a "photoshopped" unit. How can anyone freaking tell just by looking at the picture?? and yet, you guys decide to bash me and insult me with it instead be nice, that's really cool, yup totally cool, thanks for really doing it. And about this GMTX 3304, the engine that we all didn't even know that it existed, and yet when it finally showed up in Selkirk on CSX Q366 (Cincinnati to Selkirk), you all thought it was a great idea to bash me and laugh at me when all you have to do is say that it's coming to Selkirk or it's on a train to Selkirk, instead of laughing at me. But again that really cool... Thanks again.

-Scott
  by BR&P

Hey Scott, go take a chill pill. Nobody is insulting you but perhaps this can be a learning experience. Lemme 'splain it to ya:

There are some things I know as absolute, 100% stone cold fact. Finger Lakes has a GP9 numbered 1701, for example. I've seen pictures of it but even more important, I've seen it with my own eyes, I have been on it and in it. Guarandamntee that's accurate.

Now - there may be other things which have been discussed here, or maybe I read it somewhere else, but I am not 100% sure. When I post about those, I try to include some sort of disclaimer - "As far as I know...." "It's been reported that....." "This is speculation, but ....." "The last I knew...." That way people 1) know not to write it down as absolute history, and 2) I don't look like a dummy if it turns out not to be true.

The only reason people are getting on your case is because you made statements like "End of discussion...." or whatever your exact words were. You say you feel attacked and insulted. Well, how about "Clif", who saw the 3304 with his own eyes, but you in effect said he was all wet because you could not find the number in an internet search? How do you think that made HIM feel?

Lessons from this should be that the internet is not infallible, and to hedge your bets on stuff that you do not know as absolute fact.

You seem like a good kid and it's great to see enthusiasm and love of railroading from the newer generation. You didn't get bashed and insulted, just enlightened a little! :wink: We value your input - put this behind you and go watch for runthrough power! :-D
  by scottychaos

ScotCP356 wrote:Thanks for bashing me and insulting me over a photoshopped locomotive and over a engine that FGLK wont use much of. It's really pathetic that you all did that. I didn't know that the 3300 was a "photoshopped" unit. How can anyone freaking tell just by looking at the picture?? and yet, you guys decide to bash me and insult me with it instead be nice, that's really cool, yup totally cool, thanks for really doing it. And about this GMTX 3304, the engine that we all didn't even know that it existed, and yet when it finally showed up in Selkirk on CSX Q366 (Cincinnati to Selkirk), you all thought it was a great idea to bash me and laugh at me when all you have to do is say that it's coming to Selkirk or it's on a train to Selkirk, instead of laughing at me. But again that really cool... Thanks again.

-Scott
Scott,
no one bashed you at all about posting the photo of 3300.
it might be confusing, because there are references to two different photoshoppings in this thread..
the first is the photo you posted..the only person who said ANY thing about that being photoshopped, at all, was me, and all I said was:
scottychaos wrote:Weve been duped! ;)
(would have made an excellent April fools joke!)
the photo of 3300 is photoshopped..
which is funny, considering that 3303 was the "photoshop engine" that wasn't actually photoshopped! ;)
but the 3300 actually is genuinely photoshopped..
I thought the numbers looked a little bit hinky, they are slightly off, (the last zero) so I checked into it..

the photo of 3300 is the same photo as the original photo of 3301..someone tweaked the numbers:

http://www.jimpearsonphotography.com/wp ... lle-Ky.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
you were not mentioned at all..
and I assumed it was obvious that you were NOT the person who photoshopepd it..you were simply the person who posted it,
believing it was real..as we all did at first, including me..
whoever made the photo of 3300 fooled all of us! (well done! whoever you are..)
but I never suggested you were the person who did the photoshopping..im sorry if that wasn't clear.

*then* there was a reference to a earlier photoshop event, which I also mentioned *once* in this thread, I only brogutht it up at all because
I suspect the two are related! then Terms got all snippy about it! ;)
but that had absolutely nothing to do with you and your photo of 3300 at all..two separate photoshop events..they might be related, but we dont know..
and it doesn't really matter..no one really cares anymore.
the first one (in relation to 3303) was genuinely funny! :) the second one (3300) was clever and moderately funny..but that's all there is to it.

yes, photoshopping has come up in this thread..but thats because the issue is "out there" in relation to two of the SD38's now..
(one real, one fictional.)
so since it has happened, twice, and one of the times in this thread, I dont see why it shouldn't be a fair topic of discussion..
having said that, I believe there is also no reason to *continue* to discuss it! ;)
its all over now..
I honestly dont understand why it upsets anyone at all..personally I find it all humorous..

Scot
  by sd80mac

Well now I could see "1" in 3301 in boardnumber on conductor's side.. that someone, including myself, could had caught it.
scottychaos wrote:Weve been duped! ;)
(would have made an excellent April fools joke!)
the photo of 3300 is photoshopped..
which is funny, considering that 3303 was the "photoshop engine" that wasn't actually photoshopped! ;)
but the 3300 actually is genuinely photoshopped..
I thought the numbers looked a little bit hinky, they are slightly off, (the last zero) so I checked into it..

the photo of 3300 is the same photo as the original photo of 3301..someone tweaked the numbers:

http://www.jimpearsonphotography.com/wp ... lle-Ky.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
  by scottychaos

Hello group, I just updated the all-time FGLK roster page..
as always, comments, corrections and additions are welcome..thanks! :)

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scotty ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
  by ScotCP356

scottychaos wrote:Hello group, I just updated the all-time FGLK roster page..
as always, comments, corrections and additions are welcome..thanks! :)

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scotty ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
I just looked at the roster, looks good to me! Do anybody knows what engine are sign to? Who does the Canandaigua/Victor run or the Himrod run? I'm curious to what engine is assign to these jobs!

-Scott

P.S HAPPY 2015 NATIONAL TRAIN DAY!!!!!
  by lvrr325

I don't think any engines are assigned to any specific place, they get rotated around as they come due for inspections and so forth, but the six axle units have a few places they can't go as previously noted.