• BR&P ROW from Silver Springs to Machias

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by 1Loran

My grandfather was a track foreman on the BR&P from Warsaw south a number of miles from 1920 - 1953. As such I am interested in riding the old ROW south of the Silver Springs flyover through to Machias Jct. I know that part of the ROW is a snowmobile trail, and I have checked the most recent satellite images for the entire distance. There appears to be very little or no development on the ROW. I certainly want to be respectful and not to trespass. Most of the line seems to still run through farmland. If anyone has any information to share with me about the remnants of this line I would greatly appreciate the assistance.
  by rls62

1Loran,

I don't know anything about the condition of the ROW but I did notice the distance from Silver Springs to Machias is about 46 miles. I think the line was abandoned in the late 1980's. As a person who enjoys exploring abandoned RR ROWs, please report back any findings if/when you embark on this trip. :-D Thanks in advance.
  by ctclark1

Believe Chessie ran their last train on the line in '86. I don't know how long R&S operated the line south to Machias/Ashord before completely handing the reigns of covering southbound traffic over to B&P and abandoned operations south of Silver Springs, but I believe it was early 90's when the tracks were ripped up. (I vaguely remember noticing that they had disappeared from Hardys Rd one summer as a kid heading to Pike for the county fair)
  by TB Diamond

The Rochester & Southern abandoned the former B&O 4th Subdivision Machias-Silver Springs, 33.3 miles, in 1992.