• Brightline (All Aboard Florida) Orlando - Miami FL FEC fka Virgin Rail

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

by kaitoku

A (little) more about the signalling contract, in general layman terms:
New signaling: The entire rail corridor will get new signaling system — which Baker described as the “railroad equivalent of traffic lights” — to support both passenger rail and sister company Florida East Coast Railway’s freight operations.
Upgraded crossings: The corridor will get all new railroad crossing controllers, which involves upgrading existing normal grade crossing with gates and lights for maximum safety. This is critical so that vehicles, pedestrians and trains can have a safe traffic flow without interfering with each other.
Positive train control: As part of a new federal requirement for passenger rail safety, GE Transportation is implementing technology called Enhanced Automatic Train Control. The technology allows for the system to sense potential issues ahead and automatically stops the train in time to avoid crashes.
Wireless communication: GE Transportation will implement a wireless system for trains traveling at high speeds to be in continuous communication with railroad crossings. If the system senses any unsafe conditions ahead, the trains will be notified and can slow speeds to avoid disaster.
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog ... c-fla.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Rockingham Racer

Arlington wrote:Vero Beach Train Station cited as historic structure likely to be harmed by trains going by. Let that thought sink in.
Grasping for straws. I particularly "liked" the section concerning the Florida scrub jays. Reminds me of the famous desert turtle argument against the UP in Nevada some years back.
  by mmi16

Rockingham Racer wrote:
Arlington wrote:Vero Beach Train Station cited as historic structure likely to be harmed by trains going by. Let that thought sink in.
Grasping for straws. I particularly "liked" the section concerning the Florida scrub jays. Reminds me of the famous desert turtle argument against the UP in Nevada some years back.
Nothing is quite as humorous as 'ANTI'S' - grasping at straws when all the valid arguments have been defeated.
  by Gilbert B Norman

What's so special about this structure?

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image ... d5cde29df8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Rockingham Racer

Gilbert B Norman wrote:

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image ... d5cde29df8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could it be something due to those nasty, increased vibrations by those wicked passenger trains? :P
  by Ridgefielder

Rockingham Racer wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:

Could it be something due to those nasty, increased vibrations by those wicked passenger trains? :P
Aren't there already road freights going past here anyway?
  by gokeefe

Ridgefielder wrote:Aren't there already road freights going past here anyway?
Yes and on one of the best maintained trackbeds in the country.
  by chrsjrcj

The opponents are claiming that the trains will cause soil liquefaction. Then I read another claim that seniors will have to walk to hospitals because the tracks will always be blocked. While there may be some legitimate concerns regarding drawbridges, at this point most of the opponents are spreading lies to fit their agenda. It's amazing.

The good news is that the opponents are a minority. A very vocal minority, but a minority nevertheless. Anytime AAF has come up in conversation with friends, family, and co-workers, the reaction has always been positive. Most of these people don't even know I'm a train nut, so I know they aren't bias when they talk in support of the project.
  by Noel Weaver

There was a work train out today with an AAF symbol. Construction is very evident at the location of the new station in Fort Lauderdale as well. I hope the good things continue.
Noel Weaver
  by NH2060

Noel Weaver wrote:There was a work train out today with an AAF symbol. Construction is very evident at the location of the new station in Fort Lauderdale as well. I hope the good things continue.
Noel Weaver
And before we know it it'll be opening day ;-)
  by chrsjrcj

Construction is also very evident at the West Palm Beach site. Starting on Sunday, a series of railroad crossing closures will begin in the downtown West Palm Beach area that will continue until the end of June.
  by Rockingham Racer

Construction is NOT very evident between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.
  by Noel Weaver

Construction for the second track will not be as nearly the project as it is for new passenger facilities. After all until the mid 1960's the entire FEC was double track with only a couple of minor exceptions. Most of the line still has grade, bridges etc for a second track.
Noel Weaver
  by chrsjrcj

If anyone is interested, I've been trying to document some of the major construction milestones for AAF in Palm Beach County. I work very close to the future station site, so I'm pretty much at ground zero. Before I went into work this morning, they started tearing up Hibiscus Street. When I left work, they had the second track installed. I'll try to post a video that has a few short clips of the construction work, probably by Wednesday.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... f3fe4ef9d7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;